What is the best Ecommerce package?

liderbug

Loaded question and I'm looking for a biased answer. :P

I speak LAMP.

I've been asked to put up a web site with a shopping cart.  I've loaded/played with oscommerce and zen.  I will be downloading, from the wholesaler some 18,000 items several time a day, in a txt file.  I need to be able to parse the data, delete from tablex,y&z and load indata from...

So I'm looking for answers to:  safest package, easiest package, most adaptable to the look & feel the client wants.  ... and any other 20 questions not listed here  ;)

Thanks for any pointers

chuck

I've loaded/played with oscommerce and zen.  I will be downloading, from the wholesaler some 18,000 items several time a day, in a txt file.  I need to be able to parse the data, delete from tablex,y&z and load indata from

I'd make your own. Doing this with an off the shelf system like osCommerce will be a fuc*** nightmare. If you have your own database design then it makes the job 10 times easier. osCommerce is good if all you need is an online shop and not fussed about specifics. If you have bespoke requirements it could be hell attempting to modify it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think there's a shopping cart out there that will be designed for mass management (unless it's hiding on some website for sale at a price of $5000-200000 a license).  What are you working with that's going to produce 18,000 unique products a day?  I agree you should build your own.

You can plan the design around your product base far better that way anyway.

Not that building a cart is simple but some of the trickiest things to implement will be things like shipping calculators and possibly credit card processing.

With a serious cart you want to make sure that either it's database is under a separate user name from anything else on the server - you don't want to have some little calendar app elsewhere on the server get hacked and allow the user access to your shopping cart data - even if it is encrypted (it can be decrypted over time).  There's a lot to consider, build it right.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.