plz help with gethostbyname()

tony5429

[code]
<?php
$ip = GetHostByName($_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
?>
[/code]

^There's the script. I want to get the IP address of the visitor to the page, however, I keep getting the local IP address of the server itself (192.168.3.1). I've used gethostbyname() a million times before on apache with no problem, but right now i'm using IIS (the devil) and its just not working. any ideas, anyone?

Well the default document is set as index.php so when the user types the domain name, i would assume he/she goes directly to the index.php (the script I posted above). of course, iis is m$ so there is prolly some hidden security page or something that is screwing me over. Is there any other way for PHP to get the IP address of the visitor?

[quote author=tony5429 link=topic=102980.msg409547#msg409547 date=1154702374]
[code]
<?php
?>
[/code]

^There's the script. I want to get the IP address of the visitor to the page, however, I keep getting the local IP address of the server itself (192.168.3.1). I've used gethostbyname() a million times before on apache with no problem, but right now i'm using IIS (the devil) and its just not working. any ideas, anyone?
[/quote]

Actually if you want just the visitors IP then try:

$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

[quote author=tony5429 link=topic=102980.msg409547#msg409547 date=1154702374]
[code]
<?php
?>
[/code]

[/quote]

If it's actually the hostname you want, use gethostbyaddr($_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.