[Solved]How to echo PHP in to an include?

ajsuk

So I'd like to be able to echo php in to an include, but php really doesn't seem to like me trying to include php in an echo.

Heres an example of what I've tried, hopefully you can grasp the idea of what I'm trying to do. :)

Trying to echo in bit of PHP:
[code]<?php
$text = '<? echo $status[2] ?>';
include("/blahblah/myinclude.php")
?>[/code]

Then output in to the included file:
[code]<?php
echo "$text"; // Text Inc
?>[/code]

It doesn't like being formated like that, could somebody tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!  8)

I think it's this bit thats screwing it up:
[code]$text = '<? echo $status[2] ?>';[/code]

It'll include whats in there no probs until I put the php tags around it... And putting them in at the other end (in the included file) doesn't work either.

Why are you putting tags around this?

[code=php:0]
<? echo $status[2] ?>
[/code]

You are already in PHP mode with this code block:

<?php
$text = '<? echo $status[2] ?>';
?>
[/code]

Try this:

<?php
$text = $status[2];
?>
[/code]

Ajsuk ... we may have a problem here. As you have coded yourself before the $text=... statement, you are already in PHP when you do the assignment to $text.

Whatever you assign, in this PHP part, to $text is in variable $text. When you assign 'Balblablax' to it, it will still contain 'Balblablax' when you echo it in your myinclude.php file.

Yeah  :-\

So is there any way to change the "Balblablax" to "<? echo $status[2] ?>" without it getting annoyed?

the "<? echo $status[2] ?>" bit is supposed to trigger another script earlier in the include file to produce a server status (from server #3) and I [u]only[/u] want it to display that 3rd server result in this case. So this is why I'm trying to tell it to echo that status in this example.

If theres any other way to do it, I'm all ears. Sorry for the confusion, I'm not up on all this.  :(

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.