[SOLVED] Chmod Question

mcmuney

I have chmodded the "photos" directory to be 777. The photos directory contains photos by date, for example:

photos\07-10-09

photos\07-11-09

etc

Thumbnails are automatically generated in the "thumbs" folder by image magick, for example:

photos\07-10-09\thumbs

photos\07-11-09\thumbs

etc

Problem: I'm in the process of switching servers and transferring all older files, from "photos\01-01-08" to "photos\12-31-08", but the issue i'm having is that the thumbs are not being generated because of chmod permissions. I'm having to manually chmod each "thumbs" folder even though the higher level "photos" directory is chmodded to 777.

How can I avoid having to manually chmod each and every folder?

Thanks in advance.

-What should be the ideal chmod? I have 777 because I allow site visitors to upload photos. I tried 666, but the upload didn't work.

-Also, I'm using my ftp software to chmod, where I check read, write and execute, from each of the three groups. I don't have option to enter command.

Thanks.

The directories would have to be owned by the apache process to lower the permissions.  If you can't change the owner, a more secure way would be to store the directory outside of the DocumentRoot tree, and use PHP to read in the images.

If you only have access through FTP, a quick google search for recursive chmod ftp client shows that FileZilla supports it.  I don't have any experience with how well it works though.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.