Why not vBulletin?

Why not convert this forum to vBulletin since its the best out there?

P.S. : This forum has been as inspiration to me. Whenever I think of getting a vBulletin license, I think of PHPFreaks and push the thoughts out of my mind. SMF has too many flaws, according to my experience with them.

Which one is the best is a highly subjective matter. That being said, I don't like SMF either, and I would prefer other forum software. However, migrating a large forum is by no means a simple task. As far as I know, this is the third forum system PHP Freaks is using, and I think many staff members believe that switching the software all the time does more harm than good.

Which one is the best is a highly subjective matter. That being said, I don't like SMF either, and I would prefer other forum software. However, migrating a large forum is by no means a simple task. As far as I know, this is the third forum system PHP Freaks is using, and I think many staff members believe that switching the software all the time does more harm than good.

I didn't know this is the third you are using.

And yes, its a pain in the arse to convert such a huge forum and not everything is converted nicely since all the forums have different database structure.

• 1 month later...

Both of my other favorite message board sites use vBulletin.

That software has built in indexing, searching, etc. where there are tons of ways to filter and sort.

After using different types of message board systems, that one really is the best.

Plus, that would offload maintenance and update costs for CNET.

I don't think it costs that much either, since neither of the other sites I use advertise that much or generate that much revenue.

I don't think it costs that much either, since neither of the other sites I use advertise that much or generate that much revenue.

The costs aren't in the software we run, it's the hardware and bandwidth that it takes to support a site as busy as this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Cost is not just how much $$$ you pay for something. It's also what it takes to maintain and support it. I'm not implying about either product right now, but the fact that something is free to purchase/use does not mean it's better or even that it is cheaper in the long run.

When you say - "It's also what it takes to maintain and support it."

Both SMF and VB have great support and many features considering SMF is free i think it's pretty good, i just dont like VB due to the fact it's a hassle even installing modifications etc, but i guess thats just my opinion.

I'm not comparing SMF to vB here. I'm not even comparing anything at all. I'm simply saying that the fact that something is cheaper to purchase (or is entirely free) is not a good enough reason by itself.

IF something else would happen to more expensive, but the added cost outweighed that, we would choose that product over the cheaper product. Within some limits of course. We wouldn't pay $10,000/mo for instance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree, keeping PHPFreaks the way that it is has proved successful thus far. Don't try and fix something that doesn't need fixing, that's where Facebook is beginning to go wrong.

Although, I've been playing about with "MyBB". Which is another open-source and free forum solution, it's pretty nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, keeping PHPFreaks the way that it is has proved successful thus far. Don't try and fix something that doesn't need fixing, that's where Facebook is beginning to go wrong.

Although, I've been playing about with "MyBB". Which is another open-source and free forum solution, it's pretty nice.

Am with Wolhie, myBB is the best free alternative for vBulletin and free. Another good forum is phpBB 3

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.