[SOLVED] help with alphabetical pagination please

CodeMama

I searched and tried a hundred different things ...I can't seem to get my pages to load the restaurants of all one letter...my script is all piecemeal and I have to end of day to get it right...someone please have pity on me!! What I have so far....

if (!isset($_GET['letter'])) {$letter = "A";} else {$letter = $_GET['letter'];
                                                                        $sql="SELECT * FROM restaurants WHERE name LIKE '".$letter."%'";
                                                                         $result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error()) ;
                                                                         echo "
                                                                                    <div align=left width=100>
                                                                                    <b>$result[name]</b><br>

$result[address]</br>
                                                                                    $result[cviolations]</br>

</div>
                                                                                    <hr color=#000 width=200></hr>
                                                                                    ";

}
                                      // List not grabbed yet, so run query and store in $_SESSION

//alphabetical pagination links
                                                                    if (!isset($_GET['letter'])) {$letter = "A";} else {$letter = $_GET['letter'];}
                                                                    echo '<div align="center"><b>';
                                                                    for ($i=65; $i<90; $i++) {
                                                                    if ($letter!= chr($i)) {echo '<a href="browse.php?letter='.chr($i).'">';}
                                                                    echo chr($i)." ";
                                                                    if ($letter!= chr($i)) {echo '</a>';

}
                                                                    }
                                                                    echo "</b></div><p>";

$query="SELECT * FROM songs WHERE UPPER(SUBSTRING(name,1,1)) NOT BETWEEN 'A' and 'Z'"; 

$sql = "SELECT DISTINCT name FROM restaurants WHERE name LIKE
                                                                          '$letter.%' GROUP BY name DESC";

$count = mysql_num_rows($result);

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {

$name=$row['name'];

//prints out restaurant name with link .....
                                                        echo "<a href=\"details.php?name=" .$name. "\"> $name</a>\n<br>";

} 

}

trying to have the links a-z on a page that will reload itself when a letter is clicked and display the appropriate records. easy one would think...

I saw a few problems...but I still don't completely understand the code. Here it is with the top half rewritten the way I would have done it. Can you load it up with comments on what you are trying to accomplish exactly?

<?php
  $letter = isset($_GET['letter']) ? $_GET['letter'] : "A";
  $sql = "SELECT * FROM restaurants WHERE name LIKE '{$letter}%'";
  $result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
  while($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)){
    printf('<div align="left" width="100"><b>%s</b><br>%s</br>%s</br></div><hr color=#000 width=200></hr>',$row['name'],$row['address'],$result['cviolations']);
  }

foreach(range('A','Z') as $c){
    ($letter == $c)
      ? printf('%s&nbsp',$c)
      : printf('<a href="browse.php?letter=%s">%s </a>',$c,$c);
  }
  echo "</b></div><p>";

//Not sure what the rest of this code does

$query="SELECT * FROM songs WHERE UPPER(SUBSTRING(name,1,1)) NOT BETWEEN 'A' and 'Z'";

$sql = "SELECT DISTINCT name FROM restaurants WHERE name LIKE '$letter.%' GROUP BY name DESC";
  $count = mysql_num_rows($result);

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
    $name=$row['name'];
    //prints out restaurant name with link .....
    echo "<a href=\"details.php?name=" .$name. "\"> $name</a>\n<br>";
  }
?>

then just this code should work:

<?php

//Show all restaurants that start with $letter
  $sql = "SELECT * FROM restaurants WHERE UCASE(name) LIKE '{$letter}%'";
    printf('<div align="left" width="100"><b>%s</b><br>%s</br>%s</br></div><hr color=#000 width=200></hr>',$row['name'],$row['address'],$result['cviolations']);
  }

($letter == $c)
      ? printf('%s&nbsp',$c)
      : printf('<a href="?letter=%s">%s</a> ',$c,$c);
  }
  echo "</b></div><p>";
?>

The first part should show all restaurants with the selected letter and the second part should show the letters. Are you getting any errors?

what happens if you run this code:

<?php

$sql = "SELECT * FROM restaurants";
  }
?>

I can't see anything wrong with this code:

<?php

$sql = "SELECT * FROM restaurants WHERE UCASE(name) LIKE '{$letter}%'";
  }

($letter == $c)
      ? printf('%s&nbsp',$c)
      : printf('<a href="?letter=%s">%s</a> ',$c,$c);
  }
  echo "</b></div><p>";
?>

The only thing I can think of then is that the first character of the name is a blank character or something...what is the output of:

<?php
  $sql = "SELECT SUBSTR(first_name,1,1) let, count(*) cnt FROM `agents` GROUP BY let";
    print "{$row['let']}: {$row['cnt']}<br />";
  }
?>

You were exactly right, there is a blank space getting stored infront of the names so I fixed that on the insert side and it works like a charm!! although I need help with the syntax on this part, trying to get the link to work for the view.php page...for each restaurant...keep getting the syntax error "unexpected T_Variable"

printf('<a href="view.php?name=$row['name']"><b>%s</b><br>%s</br><br></a>',$row['name'],$row['address']);

you may want to switch back to your print() function instead of printf(). i personally prefer printf() cus i think it looks cleaner. The basic jist of it, is you put a %s wherever you want the variable inserted, and then add the variables as arguments. so it would be like this:

printf('<a href="view.php?name=%s"><b>%s</b><br>%s</br><br></a>',$row['name'],$row['name'],$row['address']);

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.