I hate ASPX

ober

What an awful POS.  So much bloat and it is SO FREAKING SLOW.  I could rewrite one of our apps here at work in half the code and twice the speed in PHP.  I don't even understand where they are connecting to the database or actually doing any database interactions.  It must all be packed into DLLs or something.

It's so frustrating!  :suicide:

It was .NET.  I've never gotten the hang of what needs to be included or how you link things or compile or whatever it is you have to do with that nightmare.  Plus most of what I need to get at was apparently buried in some DLLs.

To be fair, it's reasonable to expect that doing something in a language you have a lot of experience with will be faster than doing the same thing in a language you don't have a lot of experience in.

Whether or not something is in a DLL should be irrelevant. That would be the case in many of the PHP extensions you use as well.

I have 0 experience with .NET and ASP though, so I cannot really comment on the quality and efficiency of it.

It was .NET.  I've never gotten the hang of what needs to be included or how you link things or compile or whatever it is you have to do with that nightmare.  Plus most of what I need to get at was apparently buried in some DLLs.

Ah, I see.  Yeah, the ASP.NET page lifecycle is a bitch.  I'm experiencing issues with it myself.

DB stuff with it is weird.  From what I've seen, the connection info is stored in the web.config file, but using that with SQL queries is still done within the code itself.  Like:

string query = "Select level, name, tpCost, dmgModifier, hitPenalty from DBHackerAttacks";

using (SqlConnection conn = new SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["GitSConnectionString1"].ConnectionString))
{
   SqlCommand cmd;
   SqlDataReader reader;

cmd = new SqlCommand(query, conn);
   conn.Open();

reader = cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection);

while (reader.Read())
   {
      HackerAttack hackerAttack = new HackerAttack(reader.GetInt32(0), reader.GetString(1), reader.GetInt32(2), reader.GetDouble(3), reader.GetDouble(4));
      this.attacks.Add(hackerAttack.Level, hackerAttack);
   }
}

I'm not a big fan of its helper objects, like SqlReader.  They're just awkward to use.  Also, with SQLExpress, floats are actually stored as doubles within the db.  That caused me a day or two worth of headaches.

To be fair, it's reasonable to expect that doing something in a language you have a lot of experience with will be faster than doing the same thing in a language you don't have a lot of experience in.

Whether or not something is in a DLL should be irrelevant. That would be the case in many of the PHP extensions you use as well.

I have 0 experience with .NET and ASP though, so I cannot really comment on the quality and efficiency of it.

I agree that doing something in a language you're familiar with is much faster.  But this was just ridiculous.

And when I say everything was trapped in a DLL... well... there weren't ANY SQL queries in any of the pages I viewed and I couldn't find any classes that did the updates, so they must have compiled all DB updates/interaction into DLLs.  I'm not talking about picking apart functions, I'm talking about normal interactions.

No offense to people from India on these boards, but a group from India wrote the application and it sucks total balls.

Isn't a double just a float with double precision? How would that cause you an issue unless you have millions of entries and it you couldn't figure out why it used a lot more space than expected?

Remember: C# is strongly typed.  Using reader.GetFloat() when the data is stored in the db as a double (even though the column datatype is specified as a float) causes a lot of compiler errors.  It doesn't want to do the implicit conversion from double to float because of the potential loss of data.

I agree that doing something in a language you're familiar with is much faster.  But this was just ridiculous.

And when I say everything was trapped in a DLL... well... there weren't ANY SQL queries in any of the pages I viewed and I couldn't find any classes that did the updates, so they must have compiled all DB updates/interaction into DLLs.  I'm not talking about picking apart functions, I'm talking about normal interactions.

No offense to people from India on these boards, but a group from India wrote the application and it sucks total balls.

Holy...yeah, that's just ridiculous.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.