What frameworks does the majority of phpfreaks use?

littlevisuals

Hi all,

Im currently developing an app from scratch, but from what ive read i might use a framework for obvious reasons in the future.

I'm thinking of using codeigniter, for its simplicity.

Every one has its pro's and con's and ive read other peoples opinions on various blogs, my question is what framework(s) do you guys use and the main reason for it?  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a little time looking at cakephp and zend framework, but to be honest I didn't like either of them.

There's too many ways to accomplish the same task and not enough clear examples on which is the best supported, which is deprecated, etc.  Also since portions of the framework are designed by different people they don't always follow the same code conventions.  I spent probably a week or two on each one and really just found them confusing.

When I started at my current job I wrote my own framework in a couple of days that accomplishes everything I need.  It uses a Controller-View design and no Model.  I've slowly added onto it over time and I'd say it's probably got 10 or 12 classes and half a dozen libraries (static classes).  Setting up a new site takes me about half an hour and from then on out I only have to work on the site at hand.

Basically I couldn't justify spending weeks of my time learning ever-changing existing frameworks when I knew I could write one better suited to my needs in less time.

Lately I've been toying with the idea of incorporating Propel or Doctrine into my projects, but I really can't seem to justify it.

I used to use a very lose framework I put together, it was more a library for basic tasks, db, content output, validation, session control, uer control. I wanted to find something better really so looked at cake and CI, really didnt get on with cake but found CI very easy to pick up, and a very flexible system (flexible in the right places anyway)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.