Using Existing Code vs New Complete Coding

acctman

Here's my dilemma, i'm about to start a new website project that can be created with existing coding from another site I run. My existing site is based off an old script that I completely re-coded over the span of 2-3yrs and with the help of other programmers. So i'm 100% knowledgeable of the script and can pretty much code any custom feature for by myself.

With that said, I can purchase a script that has about 95% of all the features required for my new project already coded. All I would have to do is redesign the interface. The clear option would seem to purchase the new script with the business notion of time is money. But, I'm going to have to learn the new script (which is not difficult at all since its php/mysql). I'll just be unfamiliar with where certain functions are, if I end up having to code something extra/new for the site.

Pros vs cons ...

Old script code

Cons

- i'll have to create an admin area to handle the new features

- will have to code in about 5 new features

Pros

- I really know every line of coding in the script

- I'm comfortable with the script and know I can create any new feature

New Script:

Cons

- i'm not comfortable or knowledgable of the new script

- future new custom features "may" take longer to code

Pros

- pretty much everything is done

The new script looks like the best option but is it really? But what does everyone else think.

Just speculate the price vs time. Also, what do you value your time at also matters. So if it takes 500 hours or you could pay 50$, of course take the 50$, likewise if it takes 5 hours or costs 5000$, take the time. Also, what you speculate the ammount of time it would take is almost always an underestimate.

I had this same battle when I started getting into sites where the clients wanted to make their own updates.  None of the CMS packages offered the flexibility I was looking for at the time and I didn't have the time to dig through and figure out what needed to be changed.

So I wrote my own.  I've been adapting it and modifying it for close to 5 years now.  It allows me to make custom modules fairly quickly for my clients, but it has the drawbacks of falling behind some of the competition in some of the more generic areas.  And it's not nearly as robust in some of those "other features".  And I lose money working on stuff like that so it's a very double-edged sword. 

If I had it to do over, I might start from scratch learning one of the established CMS products and how to customize them.  But I'm going to continue to "roll my own" as long as it makes sense at this point.

I would never spend a great deal of time trying to learn every aspect of a 3rd party script. Chances are you could learn it and then a new version comes out and it's completely changed. If in the long term you have to support it and add new features then there is no way I would go for it. If a client says can you add x,y,z to the site then it is difficult to say if it is someone elses code. Modifying one section sometimes has a domino effect and causes 4 other sections to stop working. Also you have the issue of security. If the script has any weaknesses chances are someone has spotted them and may exploit it (happens all the time) so you are constantly adding patches, etc that may overwrite any modifications you have made.

My advice, stick to your own code. If your code library is a bit old then maybe a good option to learn a framework such as Zend, CodeIgnitor or Solar that will speed up developing new applications.

I had this same battle when I started getting into sites where the clients wanted to make their own updates.  None of the CMS packages offered the flexibility I was looking for at the time and I didn't have the time to dig through and figure out what needed to be changed.

So I wrote my own.  I've been adapting it and modifying it for close to 5 years now.  It allows me to make custom modules fairly quickly for my clients, but it has the drawbacks of falling behind some of the competition in some of the more generic areas.  And it's not nearly as robust in some of those "other features".  And I lose money working on stuff like that so it's a very double-edged sword. 

If I had it to do over, I might start from scratch learning one of the established CMS products and how to customize them.  But I'm going to continue to "roll my own" as long as it makes sense at this point.

i think i'll play it safe and use my existing old script since its just as good as the competitor and I know the backend coding. i'll just have to update the admin area and add video and payment system

I would never spend a great deal of time trying to learn every aspect of a 3rd party script. Chances are you could learn it and then a new version comes out and it's completely changed. If in the long term you have to support it and add new features then there is no way I would go for it. If a client says can you add x,y,z to the site then it is difficult to say if it is someone elses code. Modifying one section sometimes has a domino effect and causes 4 other sections to stop working. Also you have the issue of security. If the script has any weaknesses chances are someone has spotted them and may exploit it (happens all the time) so you are constantly adding patches, etc that may overwrite any modifications you have made.

My advice, stick to your own code. If your code library is a bit old then maybe a good option to learn a framework such as Zend, CodeIgnitor or Solar that will speed up developing new applications.

my code library is update. I like using the latest trends and optimized coding.

thanks for the advice.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.