system command

Branden Wagner

I really don't know the nitty gritty of the differences between these 2 commands, but I always use exec because it returns my output nicely in an array. The following shows the definitions from tht PHP documentation:
[code]string system ( string command [, int return_var])

system() is just like the C version of the function in that it executes the given command and outputs
the result. If a variable is provided as the second argument, then the return status code of the executed
command will be written to this variable.

[/code]
[code]string exec ( string command [, array output [, int return_var]])

exec() executes the given command, however it does not output anything. It simply returns the last line
from the result of the command. If you need to execute a command and have all the data from the
command passed directly back without any interference, use the passthru() function. If the output
argument is present, then the specified array will be filled with every line of output from the command.

[/code]

[quote author=ronverdonk link=topic=103143.msg411716#msg411716 date=1155043827]
I really don't know the nitty gritty of the differences between these 2 commands
[/quote]

If you read the quotes you posted, then you would know that system outputs the result and exec returns the last line of the result.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.