best free XP registry cleaner?

nrg_alpha

Hey guys.. just googling around for top free registry cleaners.. so many damn choices out there.

I'm reading that some are not thorough enough (yet safer as a result) while others are too agressive / thorough (but can cause potential problems in the process). I suppose it's all about balance.

Out of curiosity, if you have used any (which preferably does cleanup, repair and defrag), which ones would you personally recommend?

I never could find a legally free one that will find the registries and delete them. They do tell the location and you can manually do it one by one. I did that, but I accidently deleted the wrong registry. Boom, my XP installation is destroyed.  ;D

There isn't anything to know. Just right click the registry and delete. Take a chance! Russian Roullete!  :suicide:

More than anything unless you are going to do it illegally, your gonna have to buy it, but who knows what the rest of this community knows.

lol yeah, I hear ya. I gave it a shot.. seems to have done well. Cleaned out tons of built up crap (over 300megs) of a combination of things (registry and browser temp files and the like).

I like the GUI.. pretty clean, simple and professional looking. Very easy to navigate and understand.

Thanks for the suggestion MadTechie. I don't use IE however.

As for pcTools, I currently can't afford much, as money is really tight at the moment, but something to keep in mind. I'll have a quick gander at the website.

Thanks again  :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.