2 replies to this topic

#1 tomfmason

tomfmason
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,696 posts
  • Locationstealing your wifi

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:22 AM

I am not sure if this is the proper forum to post this in or not. I would have posted it in the faq/ code snippet forum but I cannot.

Anyways, I recently changed the layout of my database and soon ran into a serious problem. All of my users were getting the error message (when logining in) invaild password or username.  Since I knew that I had not changed the login function. It had to be a problem with the md5 or the database.

Well what I did was change the length of the password to 12 and almost everything that is md5'ed is longer then 12 characters. Here is an example with the password test

test with a length of 12 098f6bcd4621
test md5'ed normaly 098f6bcd4621d373cade4e832627b4f6

as you can see it normaly has a length of 32. This means that when trying to login with md5'ed password that your password will not be correct.

If any mods feel the need to move this post. Please do so.

Hope this helps someone some day.

Good Luck,
Tom

Traveling East in search of instruction, and West to propagate the knowledge I have had gained.

current projects: pokersource

My Blog | My Pastebin | PHP Validation class | Backtrack linux

#2 akitchin

akitchin
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:51 AM

all MD5 hashes are 32 characters long as far as i know; this is a property of the algorithm.  anyone know differently?

#3 tomfmason

tomfmason
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,696 posts
  • Locationstealing your wifi

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:03 AM

You are right. I did not know this before..lol  Well I guess that I learned something new today.

Thanks,
Tom

Traveling East in search of instruction, and West to propagate the knowledge I have had gained.

current projects: pokersource

My Blog | My Pastebin | PHP Validation class | Backtrack linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users