Inspiration

waynewex

What do you guys do for inspiration when you're about to design a website

Find the most basic solutions to the site requirements and convince the client to go with it. That inspires me to do it as I hate making effing complicated finnecky parts of a website just because a client has seen it done elsewhere and it may not be even the most suitable method. Also get our designer to not go overboard on features. I think I maybe a bit lazy hahaha!

I take a long look at the company/person and try to decide the best way to come up with an design that tells their story.  I often ask the client to provide information/pictures/etc.  I also ask them to provide me with a list of sites that they like the design of because ultimately, you want to appeal to their sense of design while guiding them correctly to a valuable product.

I take a long look at the company/person and try to decide the best way to come up with an design that tells their story.  I often ask the client to provide information/pictures/etc.  I also ask them to provide me with a list of sites that they like the design of because ultimately, you want to appeal to their sense of design while guiding them correctly to a valuable product.

That's usually what I do. I ask them to give a few links to three or four websites that the like the look of, regardless of what the sites are themed towards. I also check out colorlovers and other template websites. What I hate is when they choose tacky looking websites that look as if they were built in the 80s.

What do you guys do for inspiration when you're about to design a website?

I head on over to tempatemonster. They have very good (and large) collection of templates touting nice visual layouts and elements to feast the eyes on. Many different categories to choose from, and one can learn a lot (and become inspired) by studying others work.

I was half expecting somebody to say that they listen to birds whistling and watch the sunset.

No, but looking at other types of advertising and print media keeps the brain churning.  Not everything needs to be inspired from the web.  I've browsed templatemonster on more than one occasion when trying to target a specific group or theme.  I also subscribe to a few galleries that populate my feedreader every day.  Sometimes it is good to do a google search for competition or similar sites to what you are designing for.  A lot of times you can get going from the data a client sends you and build around that, but when they don't you have to wonder what other people are putting on their site. 

I was half expecting somebody to say that they listen to birds whistling and watch the sunset.

No, but looking at other types of advertising and print media keeps the brain churning.  Not everything needs to be inspired from the web.  I've browsed templatemonster on more than one occasion when trying to target a specific group or theme.  I also subscribe to a few galleries that populate my feedreader every day.  Sometimes it is good to do a google search for competition or similar sites to what you are designing for.  A lot of times you can get going from the data a client sends you and build around that, but when they don't you have to wonder what other people are putting on their site. 

Yea I often keep an eye out for colour schemes and whatnot. How the font is used etc. A quick look at the competition is a must, you always get at least one extra idea.

:smoker:

You smoke cigarettes? :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.