site got a new layout - review it!

techiefreak05

Right now I have a "free" domain and planning on buying a .com one and I decided to up the layout a bit.. here it is

http://www.zycogaming.xerodefect.com/newlayout/

itsa  test. so if anything needs to be changed beofre its final. tell me idc how brutal it is!! lol :P thanks!!

You know, this page just doesn't feel complete to me. The search box just hangs off to the right, without a right or top border (like your navbar, it feels like there should be something there, but there isn't), and your hover effect on the right buttton just doesn't look good. Now, I understand that spacing is important, but here? You've taken too much whitespace. The page to me looks like it can't decide whether or not to be fixed or fluid width, and that's not a good thing. Keep working on it-this is definitely not the final stage.

Ya - its pretty bad In my opinion.

First thing to do -> Put what you have in a DIV container with 90% width - this will put a border around your segmented website - and also provide some much needed padding to the left and right sides.

Your Nav Bar is broken in my IE6 - it just takes ages and ages to load.
Also for that Nav bar - you need the text black in colour - because you dont use white text anywhere else - keep it the same. White text is also hard to see.

Your intext a:hover is strange. Id put it something more normal.

Your Register button is way too colourfull IMO - and with a bad grey a:hover background.

You have a nice logo - which is a v. good start.
-steve

well, while i agree it definitely doesn't look complete, there are a few comments i don't agree with above. i think that your white text on your navigation is great, but the problem is that it doesn't fit with anything else on the page. you've got a cool navigation design, but it doesn't flow at all with the rest of the page. you definitely need some padding on your text. maybe even just having a #content div with 10px padding or something around the text... just to give it a little buffer. you should [b]never[/b] have paragraph text rubbing up against the edge of the browser like that

otherwise, there's really not much to critique on. this is one case where i would suggest the text on your navigation drop down with the tabs to truly simulate the "feel" of pulling file folders out. i typically don't ever like navigation text to jump, but i think in this case, it would fit. i really like the idea of the navigation, but it needs to be pulled off a little more smoothly.

you've really got to come up with some way to tie the whole page together. right now, it looks like you've got three separate divisions (content, navigation and search), and none of them really flow together. figure that part out, and i think you'll be off to a great start.

First of all I think there should be a margin between the left side and the content. Then there is the navigation bar at the top. It looks strange, it looks like there should be something above it, like the tabs in SMF and then the navigation should, unlike the content, have no margin to it's left side. The search/login box is far too to the right side. Also when hovering over the register button, the background becomes white and I think you should either use buttons OR images, not a combination. The form fields are also too wide. Check the screenshot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

[quote author=techiefreak05 link=topic=103248.msg414535#msg414535 date=1155393392]
Thanks for all the input. I'll make changes when I get time.. but now Im super busy.

Daniel0: thats wierd.. I dont see that.. well I AM using firefox and IDK what IE users see..
[/quote]

that's dangerous. even in the techie market, you've got a high percentage of IE users (especially with IE7). you've GOT to optimize your site for all major browsers if you're hoping to have a good market base. typically, i've found that is you can view your site well in FF, IE, Opera and Safari, you're pretty solid.

• 3 weeks later...
Your latest looks better then your first.

Here are a few things:
- Top banner - Too dark and you have your 2 top corners with black tips, that doesn't look good at all
- Lose the marquee, if you want something like that, do a smoother javascript one.
- Your google search section is just kinda floating there and it doesn't look good with the blue background.
- Your content section is pretty plane and bland.

I didn't go any further then the front page and didn't check your code.

-Chris

okie ppl thx.. ok so i got rid of the marquee .. and the search .. all gone. but in place of the search i aded a banner. so theres a little banner centered under the logo.. it looks MUCH better!!

Im not a web desginer.. im MUCH better with code.. i tried.. lol. ittl prolly change a lot cuz IE really doesnt like my site but firfox loves it!! lol, so if you view my site.. ull have a netter time using firefox

***WHEN USING FIREFOX.. THE TEXT SIZE SHOULD BE DEFAULT.. PRESS CTRL+0 (thats a ZERO)***

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.