Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tomfmason

Delete a file?

I wrote a function that will create a directory and add a file to it. Now I am wondering how I can delete a directory and/or a file.

I don't want anyone to write the function for me but rather point me in the right direction i.e.. a link to a relivant section in the manual or an example.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Tom

For a file- [url=http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.unlink.php]unlink()[/url]
For a dir- [url=http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.rmdir.php]rmdir()[/url]

Orio.

thanks orio. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the help,
Tom

I tried using
[code=php:0]
chdir ($file_system_path);
exec ("del *.* /s /q");[/code]

And it delted everything in the current directory that I had the file that was running the code. It is a damn good thing that I used a test directory in local host..lol

This is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Thanks,
Tom

[quote author=tomfmason link=topic=103258.msg411085#msg411085 date=1154944568]
I tried using
[code=php:0]
chdir ($file_system_path);
exec ("del *.* /s /q");[/code]

And it delted everything in the current directory that I had the file that was running the code. It is a damn good thing that I used a test directory in local host..lol

This is dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Thanks,
Tom
[/quote]
Indeed. '*.*' will delete all files with an extension as the * character is used as a wildcard, /s flags all sub-directories for deletion, and /q runs in quiet mode - just deleting without prompting.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.