Favourite Server OS

alecjw

What's your favourite OS for a server?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite OS for a server?

• Ubuntu
    • Debian
    • Slackware
    • Mandrake
    • Suse
    • Fedora
    • Red Hat
    • Mandriva
    • Knoppix
    • Gentoo
    • Mepis
    • Microsoft Windows
    • Mac OSX Server
    • FreeBSD

What's your favourite server OS? Mine's Ubuntu Linux because it's the fastest to release security updates, lightweight and you can install a LAMP server in an instant my selecting LAMP server from the boot menu.

I develop on machines running both WinXP Pro and OS X, but my production servers are generally FreeBSD. I prefer any UNIX based OS on the production server over a Microsoft one, MS ones are just a pain in the arse to work with when you don't have CLI access to change file and directory permissions etc.

Oh, I edited your poll to include FreeBSD :)

i think Ubuntu is the ideal Desktop OS simply because it's easy as hell...but as a server?...hmm maybe with a lot of tweaking.
being a server, you'd expect it to be stable, then you must be careful to not enable all the ubuntu repositories because some of the updates on some repositories are not thoroughly tested.

i think my favourite server OS is Gentoo Linux because of how well it melds in with the hardware (if you compile via source) and the package manager itself.
i believe Gentoo's package manager actually downloads the source and compiles it on your PC unlike Ubuntu for example which would download a mostly preconfigured .deb, generally.

I imagine FreeBSD would be more robust as a server but unfortunately, i don't know as much about FreeBSD as i'd LOVE to :)

So Gentoo it is, for now.

I'm so far out of the Linux loop that I haven't personally ran one since I ran Mandrake back in '99.  This is why I let someone else manage my web hosting.  I voted FreeBSD, because I think that's what my current webhost uses, but whatever.  Pretty much anything but MS for server OS.

[quote author=Koobi link=topic=103263.msg411187#msg411187 date=1154956985]
i think Ubuntu is the ideal Desktop OS simply because it's easy as hell...but as a server?...hmm maybe with a lot of tweaking.
being a server, you'd expect it to be stable, then you must be careful to not enable all the ubuntu repositories because some of the updates on some repositories are not thoroughly tested.

i think my favourite server OS is Gentoo Linux because of how well it melds in with the hardware (if you compile via source) and the package manager itself.
i believe Gentoo's package manager actually downloads the source and compiles it on your PC unlike Ubuntu for example which would download a mostly preconfigured .deb, generally.

I imagine FreeBSD would be more robust as a server but unfortunately, i don't know as much about FreeBSD as i'd LOVE to :)

So Gentoo it is, for now.
[/quote]

With ubuntu, you don't have to download the .deb packages, they come on a CD. Also, updating it is ubeleivably easy, just:
[code]aptitude upadate[/code]
and everything will be updated off of the internet.

I mainly like ubuntu beacause it's very easy to use, I'm only 13 and I'm very new to the world of linux.

I'd love to be able to use Ubuntu Linux on my desktop, but it's not compatible with my network card.

[quote author=alecjw link=topic=103263.msg411319#msg411319 date=1154971126]
With ubuntu, you don't have to download the .deb packages, they come on a CD. Also, updating it is ubeleivably easy, just:
[/quote]

actually its:
[code]
sudo apt-get update
[/code]

that will only update your list of repositories

this will actually upgrade your packages:
[code]
sudo apt-get upgrade
[/code]

then there's a dist-upgrade as well.

but i generally just use aptitude because it has better dependency handling (apparently)

also, here's a neat trick:
[code]
sudo apt-cache search mySearchTerm
[/code]

great way to find new programs :)

also, the deb's that come in a CD could be outdated. you should try and download fromthe net. either way, a .deb is not a raw source package :)

i use Ubuntu for my desktop as well. but i don't think i'll ever use it as a server.
it's a really great desktop OS though. a friend of mine installed it on his laptop and it detected his WIFI and bluetooth, all without human interaction.
linux has come a LONG way since the manual configuration era...but the whole manual configuration thing was the charm that would draw someone to it...

what's your network card by the way?

[quote]what's your network card by the way?[/quote]
Its a Belkin F5D7001uk (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=184329), the 125MBps version of F5D7000uk (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=141055), which is supported...

Only the very latest kernel noticies that it's there, but then it thinks that its a wired LAN card and doesn't find any wireless networs when i search. But seeing as its 54MBps counterpart works, I expect that they'll start supporting it soon. THEN I can uninstall Windows! yay!

[quote]that will only update your list of repositories[/quote]
I told you that I was a newbie at linux!

[quote author=Koobi link=topic=103263.msg411402#msg411402 date=1154988507]
[quote author=alecjw link=topic=103263.msg411319#msg411319 date=1154971126]
[/quote]

actually its:
[code]
sudo apt-get update
[/code]

that will only update your list of repositories

this will actually upgrade your packages:
[code]
sudo apt-get upgrade
[/code]
[/quote]

If runs as root he don't have to prepend sudo. And he can use aptitude instead of apt-get.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.