Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

radalin

Sql Injection Protection

Hi,
I'm using php5 and apache 2 and postgresql 8.1 as database and pear's mdb2 package. I'm using escape method of mdb2. But the intresting thing is that silencer "\" character exists more than required. I mean if I write " your's " it becomes " your\\''s " and it's entered to the db as " your\'s ". If I do not use escape method and everything is fine! Yes really fine! I get the data from a form via POST method. When I try to echo the data coming from POST it's as " your\'s ". The single quote is already disabled.

Well I'm curious why is this happening!! I do not think it's really possible so I'm probably missing something at somewhere. I cannot post my code sadly because it's not ordered and it requires manu functions. But the thing is even if I echo the data coming from the Post the single quote is already disabled! I'm very curious why this happens. Maybe this is because of something I dont kno yet.

Thank you for your time.

That's probbly because you've got magic_quotes on in your php.ini.

Run this:
echo get_magic_quotes_gpc();
If it returns TRUE or 1, that means strings get automaticly escaped.

If you want to escape strings for you database, use this function:
[code]<?php
function sql_quote($value)
{
if(get_magic_quotes_gpc())
{$value = stripslashes($value);}
if(function_exists("mysql_real_escape_string"))
{$value = mysql_real_escape_string($value);}
else
{$value = addslashes($value);}
return $value;
}
?>[/code]

Orio.

Hmmm yeah you were right it was enabled.

But I'm using PostgreSQL should I have to use mysql_real_escape_string or it's postgresql equivalent?

I have no idea...
But I think it'll be ok to use on any SQL string.

From php.net:
[quote]mysql_real_escape_string() calls MySQL's library function mysql_real_escape_string, which prepends backslashes to the following characters: \x00, \n, \r, \, ', " and \x1a.[/quote]

Orio.

You would use [url=http://php.net/pg_escape_string]pg_escape_string[/url] instead.

Thanks for the info.

MDB2's escape method was using that function. When I disabled the magic_quotes, everytng is ok now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.