text is the same color as background

jjf

This one's puzzling me quite a bit.  I guess I'm missing something obvious, but I sure can't see what it is.

I'm modifying an open-source PHP timecard program for use on a Windows Business Server 2003.  In Linux (where it was written and where I did most of the major modifications), everything displays fine.  But when ported to Windows, the text color = the background color in both Firefox and IE. 

So PHP code like this:

[code]<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" bgcolor="<?= $default->light_bg_color ?>" text="<?= $default->dark_text_color ?>" align="center" valign="top">[/code]

(where light_bg_color = "#ffffff" and dark_text_color = "#000000")

creates source code like this:

[code]<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" align="center" valign="top">[/code]

But the output text is white! 

I found by changing the light_bg_color and dark_text_color values that no matter what I tell the text color to be, it displays in whatever color is set for bgcolor.  For example, if I set my background to purple and my text to red, my background and text are both purple.

I can't imagine why Windows would behave one way on this and Linux another.  Is there a setting in my PHP.INI file that is incorrect?

Thanks for any help.

In case it will help, I will add some more complete source code:

[code]<html>
<head>
<title>OATS Timecard</title>
<link href="css.php" rel="stylesheet" text="text/css">
</head>
<body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0">

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%" valign="top" bgcolor="#085d8b">
  <tr>
    <td class="topbarcell" valign="top" align="center" nowrap="nowrap">
      <font color="#ffffff">
      <a href="timecard.php?">Timecard</a> | <a href="jobs.php?actionID=show_jobs&">My Jobs</a> | <a
href="personal_info.php?">Personal Info</a> | <a href="faq.php?">FAQ</a> | <a
href="user.php?actionID=4&">Change Password</a> | <a href="admin.php?">Admin</a> | <a
href="problem_report.php?">Report a Problem</a> | <a href="login.php?actionID=34&">Log Out</a>      </font>

</td>
  </tr>
</table>
<table border=0 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=2 bgcolor=#ffffff text=#000000 align=center valign=top>
<form method=post name="timecard" action="timecard.php?" onSubmit="return checkSubmit();">
<tr>
  <td align="center" colspan="2">
    <br/>
    <b>Welcome, <a class='dark' href=personal_info.php?>admin</a>. &nbsp;Please Choose An
Action.</b><br>Aug 07 (Mon.) 2006, 1:43pm    <br />

</td>
</tr>
...[/code]

I expect the background to be white and the text black.  Instead both bg and text are white.

D'OH!  :P

I figured it out.  I had an extra line in my css.php file forcing the text color to take the background color:

color: <?= $default->light_bg_color ?>;

I have no idea what madness overtook me that I would add such a line. 

BTW, I much prefer developing in Linux.  grep and diff (comparing my version to a backup version) could have solved this problem long ago.  Maybe such tools exist in Windows, but I don't know them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.