Can someone who uses Zend, please warn me if there is any MORE pitfalls please?!

littlevisuals

Ok, im learning zend, can install it just swell

Only I have been knocked down by many things  :facewall:

1. Got the Zend Framework in Action book to find out its basically useless with the new version of the framework

2. Learning through videos http://www.zendcasts.com  and found that these are no good with the new framework as im always getting raped by incompatabilty issues

here is an example

Notice: Zend_Loader::Zend_Loader::registerAutoload is deprecated as of 1.8.0 and will be removed with 2.0.0; use Zend_Loader_Autoloader instead

3.  Followed basic CRUD tutorials which do the same as (2) but i just want to complete one without learning one thing and then realising its wrong.

Im afraid and every time I follow a simple tutorial, I die a little inside...

Every person who has a guide does it so differently I get nowhere. 

So I ask if anyone who is a Zend Veteran if they could give me any advice, pitfalls and where to start with this framework.  I would really appreciate it !  :P

Thanks in advance

This is one of the reasons I stopped looking at PHP frameworks and just wrote one for myself.

I spent a week look at ZF and I still couldn't figure out what was the best way to accomplish TaskA.  One tutorial said do this, another said do that, a guy on IRC said, "No do it this way."

Meh.

Zend Framework 1.8 brought a new application loader and autoloader, whereas most of the content is written for earlier versions. If you don't feel good with it and want to learn from the "old" tutorials, simply install 1.7 version and make the upgrade later.

Moreover, you must remember that Zend Framework is rather a "do it yourself - application framework", so there could be more ways to perform the same task. For example, a couple of months ago I was looking for a way to store forms for different modules in my application. I found a couple of solutions on various blogs etc. but I noticed they do not suit my needs, so I created my own one. My first ZF application was a crap, too, but now I found this framework good for me, as it is easier to extend with new concepts or libraries (which I do very often) and well-documented.

The best place to learn about the Zend framework (IMO) is the Zend framework documentation. Zend (like most) frameworks is still under heavy development so in order to keep up to date you need your documentation to be up to date. The official documentation is always up to date.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go as far as the documentation is best, with the recent rapid updates that Zend Framework has done there has been not a full cycle in the development of the documentation. I have found myself going to deep into the core code just to find the way to get things done right.

Now here's a key to developers Frameworks are not the end all to development, Just a tool to solve the answer. Now if the tool doesn't help you solve the answer then help it solve the answer. There are always better ways to do things and very well more ways to do so

but if you can help solve the problem it doesn't hurt to feed it back to the community so everyone has it

The best place to learn about the Zend framework (IMO) is the Zend framework documentation. Zend (like most) frameworks is still under heavy development so in order to keep up to date you need your documentation to be up to date. The official documentation is always up to date.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.