Scure login script help still needed!!

theunrep

Hello everyone.

I am trying to get a secure login script installed on my site. I really don't know anything at all about PHP. The other scripts I've used had relatively easy to understand instructions, and didn't require MySql.

The package we've purchased from our host includes MySql and PHP support, but their tech support is very dodgy, and they haven't been able to help me. I've looked at the PHP and MySql Manuals, and I've tried searching, but I really don't know what I should be searching for.

The script I'm having trouble understanding is called Phpsecurefiles. It's a free (for non-commercial use) secure php authentication script. It uses MySql to store users information, but I'm not sure what to do.

When I access the control panel (plesk) through my host, there is an option to administrate the MySql Databases, but when I add a new database (I named it "Phpsecurepages"), my only option is to add a new database user. I'm not sure where to put the .sql file that came with the instalation. When I log into my host through FTP, there is no clear directory called "Mysql" or anything like that.

Can anyone help?
If you need any info that I haven't posted (I'm sure I left something important out) please let me know.

Thank you.
Theunrep

Hello theunrep,

Well if you are using phpMyAdmin administiring a MySQL database is fairly easy.  I will tell you how to set up a database using phpmyadmin.

Firstly you need to make a database user.  This option will be on the main page of phpMyAdmin and create a username that you can easily remember.

Now select this from the dropdown menu on the left and then since you are using a .sql file their will be a bunch of links some of them being "browse, sql, search, insert" etc the one you need is the import link.  Click on that link and upload you .sql file from their.

I'm not sure if plesk has a link to phpMyAdmin if not you are going to need to make a database user first then it might come up with an option to import a file.

Oh and mysql wont appear in your sites directory.

Hope that helps you.

dual_alliance

Hey dual, thanks for your help.

I've managed to gain access to phpMyAdmin, and have added myself as a database user.

I ditched PHPsecurepages for a different script called SecureLogin from Studio Staat.  It looks a little easier to use, and is supposed to create it's own tables and such.

I think I've gotten it completely installed, but it isn't working.

The instructions say to put this at the top of every page I want to protect.
[code]<?php

include('securelogin.php');

?>
[/code]

I've done that, and it still isn't working. I'm sure it's a path oversight, but I have tried every conceivable combination, and still can't get it to work.

Any ideas?

Sure!  Here's the download page of the people who wrote the script.

http://opensource.studiostaat.nl/

I am not getting any error messages at all. 
Here's where I am so far.
[list]
[*]I have followed the installation instructions with very little difficulty, and was able to install the script, and run the installation process.
[*]I have checked my MySql database and confirmed that the script had created the proper tables.
[*]I created an admin account per the instructions, and confirmed that the account exists in the database.
[*]I am able to log into the admin control panel, which shows all accounts and admin status, and confirmed that the admin login information does indeed protect the admin control panel.
[*]I have added the nescessary code to the top of the pages that I want to protect, but they are not protected.
[/list]

I am fairly certain that the problem lies within the path in the code that I am supposed to put at the top of each page, I'm just not sure where the discrepancy lies.

Thanks for all of your help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.