Check for similar entries in DB

therealwesfoster

What is an efficient way to check a database for similar entries? For example:

One user posts "what is your favorite kind of dog?". So when user #2 comes along and posts "what is your most favorite breed of dog?", how can I alert user #2 of the similar entry already posted?

Digg has this feature as well when digging something. What's the most efficient way of doing this?

Thanks for the reply :)

LIKE would be good, but how would I implement that? Replace the spaces with %? That wouldn't work too well. What's you idea?

based on your first post i would create i string parser which removes words like "in" "the" "a" etc from topic titles. then i wouls create queries like this:

select * from topic_table where title like '%$parsedString%' limit 10;

you obviously will not want to list all the possible rows, so i limited it to 10.

here's what'd i do though.

1) explode() the query string into individual words.

2) remove common words like ("the," "what," "when," "is," "a," etc...) from your array using preg_match or eregi

3) build a query that will check through your table for questions that contain each word: LIKE '% $word %'

4) ta-da - show the results to the user.

2) remove common words like ("the," "what," "when," "is," "a," etc...) from your array using preg_match or eregi

3) build a query that will check through your table for questions that contain each word: LIKE '% $word %'

That's definitely a start (and the reason I originally posted this in the php section...). But that would also bring up questions like "how bad do you hate dogs?" and "dogs or cats?". So there are still a few more functions that need to take place, and this is the tricky part

didnt i say that?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.