elements inside forms + IE6 issues

redbullmarky

Hi all

Anyone know why IE6 has problems rendering styles of a DIV I have nested in my <FORM> ?
I've tried several methods, but basically I want the fields contained within a white, bordered box but the submit button to sit outside of it. IE seems to ignore the background-color and border properties of the inner DIV, even when i set them up as !important. If I wrap the FORM inside the DIV tag, or style the actual FORM, it works fine - but doing it this way would mean I'd have to have my submit button within this styled area which I don't want.

Oh - and it works with TABLE's fine, but I'm trying to keep it purely CSS/layers.

Can anyone give me any pointers on this?

Cheers
Mark

hmm was an interesting problem. tried out several things - and the solution came by setting the 'position' of the bordered box to 'relative'. pretty much same solution as a previous problem i posted.

now - if anyone can help with another IE6 issue, i'd be grateful - how can i stop an absolutely positioned DIV falling behind a <SELECT> tag? i've noticed that an IFRAME seems to do the trick, but it seems a very "botched" solution. i also tried hiding all the <SELECT> tags when the DIV is visible, but again that just looked wrong.

The more I test on IE6, the worse my opinion of it gets.

cheers
Mark

i did. i purposely set the z-index of everything other than the absolute-positioned DIV to low, and the DIV's z-index to very high. only IE has this problem. digging around, it seems to be a fairly common issue - there are hacks etc to do with IFRAME's, like i tried, but they're all a bit messy - some of which create other issues for other browsers to deal with, etc. the problem doesnt affect all form fields - just SELECT tags apparently.

so if it's possible to deal with this purely with CSS and without any form of hacking, that'd be great - if there's a solution out there, i havent found it yet.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.