hitech Softball League

lead2gold

http://hitech.lead2gold.org

Unfortuantly the bulk of the work is in the backend that none of you can access (Admin section) that i don't want to post the login/pass for.  However, i still had many suggestions from the people who did get it.

I tried to incorporate there suggestions into the page.  Although i'm no artist and probably need alot more graphics, i'm curious on any feedback you all have.

80% of the sites engine goes to the credit of this site.  Everyone here is simply amazing.  I went from knowing nothing about php,sql, and css to being very confident in what i know. Thanks to all of you who helped me!

Chris

Cool. I like what you've done with the calendar-great touch there. Now, probably my only problem is the lack of padding in your links-give them a little space, so they don't run up against the sides like that. Now if you just take the little Home box on the upper-right and move all that up a little so it doesn't run against the edge (or make it into a tab), that should make it look nice. Your HTML is valid, and your CSS is mostly valid, and aside from that, no complaints here. Nice job!

Thanks for your feedback, i fixed the right menus like both of you suggested.

I'm not familiar with making tabs, although that does sound like a nice idea.  I guess i will google that and hope some nice examples pop up.

As far as the CSS not validating.... Thats because the W3C marks display: inline-block; as invalid.  Yet i need that or it doesn't look right in IE.

Oh well... i was told that if you know why your getting the errors, then it's not so bad.

Chris

Sorry guys, last time i'll bump this post.

I fixed the CSS issue.  The problem was actually that "display: inline-block;" is not a CSS v2.0 standard but a v2.1 standard instead.  I changed my CSS validator link a bit and everything checks out ok! (w00t!).

I also took on the suggestion of tabs and changed them to fit my light green theme.

As for the comment about having an image in the header.  I totally love that idea... but i don't want to steal someone elses image, and the best thing i can draw is a crooked stickman  ;D

Maybe in time I will get a logo up top though.  I won't throw that idea out.
Thanks for everyones feedback.

My advice, you may not believe me, but it would be simple to remove all those warnings too, without even affecting your site, just set the background as whatever you have the background on the rest.  I make it a habit to try and remove all warnings, after you do it on like 2 sites, or 3 you start to realize it's almost always caused by colors without background colors or vice versa, and that is very simple to fix, it would look a LOT better when it comes up saying NO errors OR warnings found.
THat is perfect css, and it's not that hard to get it, it'll just take you 10 minutes.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=103411.msg413908#msg413908 date=1155307259]
[quote]http://hitech.lead2gold.org/community/[/quote]
also you could skin that page to look almost exactly like the rest of your site, that shouldn't take you too long either, just another suggestion.
[/quote]

Yea, well there is a green theme i can d/l from the site.  I haven't really touched the message board.. i just made some groups and left it at that. Making your own skin is easier said then done.  There are alot of images associated with the SMF board, they're all set to blue.  But to be honest, Im not to worried about the message board as it has no bearing on my sites functionality.  But thanks for the suggestion.

You need to 'pretty' up your website a bit more. You need some images to show what the website is about. A picture paints a thousand words...
Its nice - it works - it seems solid. It just needs to be 'fleshed out' with graphics.

Yes - it will only take a few minutes to remove them background-color warnings from your css. They are there for a reason too! Its to allow people to change your css themselves to make reading it easier.
-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.