cron job, and php security

Ninjakreborn

I have 2 questions.

The first question I have is about PHP Security.  I am wondering about double password access.  It's easy for someone to "guess" a username, but normally they have to "force the password.  If I use 1 username, but have double passwords(2 passwords) for each username does that increase security.  Any standard tool used for "brute force" or "dictionary" attacks would be unsuccessfully, because they are created to crack 1 text box, or 1 password area, with 1 username and 2 passwords, both passwords are different, and random numbers, I don't see how anyone can get in.

mini-question- Is it possible for someone to use brute force on something but never get the password.  Can they get into something that is password protected in other ways, without figuring out the username and password, or if you secure the username and password protected is it impossible for them to get in.

Question Number 2.
Cron Jobs, I "feel" personally that I have mastered my current languages Xhtml, CSS, PHP, MySql, and Javascript but I am ready to move onto some other things.  The few things I want to ask about here are
I am going to definitely learn ajax, xml, cron-jobs, ruby on rails, and start beginner courses on asp, jsp, perl, and c+, doesn't mean I am going to learn them completely yet, I just want the basics, so I can be well rounded, not enought o do anythign with them, but enough to have a general idea of most of the basics.  For now I have 1 question About cron-jobs, this is the main question, I think cron-jobs are php, so I put it in php.
What are cron jobs, I know there something that recur's but if you set one up, can it redo itself over and over again whether someone visit's a script or not.  Does it run even if noone goes to it, if it does that can be invaluable, and time saving and save server load, insteead of doing regular php programs to do something on each login you could have cron jobs doing it regularly at scheduled intervals.  Can I set up cron jobs with just a regular unix server, php page, and php processor, or is there something special I need to start learning how to set one up.  What are there main uses for.

Security? Not even banks and governments are totally secure.  Would two passwords be better than one? Yes - in the same sense that 17 passwords would be better than 16.

Cron jobs are executed as server tasks and have no connection with web pages, visitors to web sites, etc. A cron job always executes at whatever time and recurring interval you decide .... for ever and ever.

So then the more passwords the better.  Hmm.  THe other question was the cron jobs.  What do I NEED to set them up, if there not related to web pages, I am guessing they are completely seperate from php.  What language are they a part of, or they a stand alone module that can be used with many languages. Or are they part of one specific language like perl.

the cronjob that I set up on one of my sites was written purely in PHP as it is a server side task. write the page as what you want to happen at regular intervals, like email your friend etc etc, call it something.php and then either speak to your server provider or set up the cron yourself saying that at 1am every day I want something.php to be run.

you can link it to other pages by using includes statements but dont link the other way or people can find your cronjob script and keep calling it slowing your server running scripts that you dont want to happen

hope that helps.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=103415.msg411722#msg411722 date=1155044164]
THe other question was the cron jobs.  What do I NEED to set them up...
[/quote]

Logic, plus access to your web server. 

A decent webhost provides a control panel with cron task set-up by filling in the blanks.  Google is your friend.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.