Zend Framework - Image upload question

OOP

Hi there,

I am new zend framework user and I am wondering how to verify that a given file is a valid image or not. I guess checking only the file extension & MIME type is not enough. What if someone rename for example a file from evil.php to something like flower.gif. Will this pass the validations? I just want to prevent such thing.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regrards

hey hey,

Not sure if you can validate if the file is an actual image unless you create custom validators for zend_form.  if you are going complete Zend.

if not the good news is that Zend_Validators can be used stand alone so yay!! now here are a few things you can do:

for each so called mallicious data string you got you use:

$handle = fopen($file, 'r') and $content = fread($handle); then search the $content as a string for the codes that are of the language.

javascript, lua, .net, php look for the word function, or even the ' = '  with the spaces.

it's highly unlikely that an image read would have ' = ' but the proof is in the code.

Beyond that there aren't truly and other validation for images rather than the ones already set for Zend_Form_Element_Image types.

Hi there,

I am new zend framework user and I am wondering how to verify that a given file is a valid image or not. I guess checking only the file extension & MIME type is not enough. What if someone rename for example a file from evil.php to something like flower.gif. Will this pass the validations? I just want to prevent such thing.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Regrards

Hi there...

thanks albertrosa for your idea

boha, using getimagesize() is not enough becuase i can embed some valid PHP code inside a valid gif image and this will pass the function check.

any other idea?

regards

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.