How do I select a single row? and another question...

Guest kilbad

Guest kilbad
Two questions:: First, how would I modify the code below to merely select a single row from the database?  Let's say row two?  I know it can probably be done by changing the query but I do not know what the syntax would be..

[code]
$query="SELECT * FROM contactbook";
$result=mysql_query($query);

$num=mysql_numrows($result);

$i=0;
while ($i < $num) {
$id=mysql_result($result,$i,"id");
$first=mysql_result($result,$i,"first");
$last=mysql_result($result,$i,"last");

echo "$id $first $last";

$i++;
}
[/code]

Second, and unrelated to the above code, how do I output rows of data from the database, let's say based off a column of first names, in alphabetical order?

Thank you so much in advance!

Brendan

If you want to select row 2 use this as the query:
[code]$query="SELECT * FROM contactbook WHERE id='2'";[/code]
That will work if the id fields is an auto incremented row.

For you secound question use and order by clause opn the end of your query like so:
[code]SELECT * FROM tbl_name ORDER by col_name ASC[/code]

If you want to learn more about SQL Queries have a read through the SQL Tutorials over at [url=http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_intro.asp]w3schools.com[/url] and possibly read through the tutorials over at [url=http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/]php-mysql-tutorial.com/[/url]

I just have a comment about the first question. In most of the cases, the query that wildteen88 suggested will work fine, but if the row "WHERE id='2'" was deleted in some point, nothing will be selected. So I think a better query to select the second row is:
"SELECT * FROM `contactbook` ORDER BY id ASC LIMIT 2,1"

Orio.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.