Photoshop and curves

SharkBait

Hi,

I am trying to make better shapes for the web using photoshop and I am having issues creating images with curves that don't look so pixelated for the web.

I dont have an example at the moment, but if someone could a) point me to a good tutorial to making un-pixelated curves in PS that be good (yea I know there a billions of PS tuts out there)
b) Perhaps guide me via the forum here how I would go about it.

I currently use PS CS1 and been using a mix between the shape tools and the pen tool to manipulate the vertexes.

This is the image actually that is pixelated and I want to make smooth.  [img]http://tingram.ca/pixelate.jpg[/img]

Best way to create curves in PS is to use the Pen tool. When you go to create a curve click then create your next point, while you are creating your secound point hold down the left mouse button and drag the mouse to left/right to create the desired curve. Masting the Pen tool isn't easy, however if you enabl the grid it can become alittle easier to perfect a decent curve. Thats how I create curves with the pen tool.

when i used PS, what i would do is create a curve with a marquee tools (feathering) on an alpha channel and then blur it by very small amounts many times and then apply Curves (ctrl+m  or image > Curves ?) and sharpen the blur.

i would then use the alpha channel to load a selection and use that selection.

worked perfectly everytime :)

i wish i could better instruct you, but i don't have access to PS nor have i used it properly in the last 2 years or so.

but a pen tool won't be as smooth as manipulating a blur on an alpha channel.

for most web graphics (72dpi), the pen tool should be fine but for print graphics (150/300dpi), it can make a difference depending on the size of the graphic in which case i believe using alpha channels is very appropriate :)

In the first post example, I think the way I tried making it is using the Rounded Corner shape tool, get it to the size I wanted and then use the pen tool to manipulate the points I've selected.

If I were to add more points to it would that help it out?  After I've used the pen tool on a shape I do a feather selection of 0 and then fill in the selection (or cut depending on what I want it to do).  I have just noticed that doing things like this, the selection isnt always as percise as I would like it to be.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.