Shtml vs PHP Includes

Conjurer

php is dynamic - you can use certain information either submitted by a client or drawing database records etc. etc.

shtml and server side includes are simply that. They cant be dynamic like php. the only thing you could do is include certain pages on certain pages but they will always look the same.

you could use shtml to include something that NEVER changes (unless you alter the file you are including).

use php if you want this particluar element to beable to show different content - content that may change daily or content created randomly from the information you have provided in that file.

Like bltesar said, it might use fewer system resources. I've defenitely used some servers in the past that are a tad slow with php, and if I was writing something static, i always preferred shtml over includes.

The habit has stayed with me now, and I have a main site logo with a menu that is included() on php pages where I have dynamic stuff going on, but is incorporated with shtml on pages that don't change, like FAQs, LINKS, etc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.