creating clone websites

raza.shahzad

hi there.
i have heard a lot about orkut community. the website is simple and offers good services to its registered members.
by stating the above, i want to ask how can i make a clone of this website. secondly, is there any special technique of making clones. do i need to learn some new skills or my knowledge of php and html is sufficient for this purpose? There are dozen of other different websites offering different services. can i make clones of every website depending upon the knowledge of programming language i have. what are the things that i need to know about a website while cloning.?
my second question is typical:
i have learned PHP(from a book by wrox publishers 'professional PHP programming'), HTML, Flash, Photoshop, freehand, dreamweaver, fireworks, C++(a little bit from another book), CSS and other similar things by my own without the help of anyone. the conditions under which i learned all these things lead me to a mixed mind. now i can program and/or design many things(web pages) but i always use help from books. my question is whether it is necessary for me to learn every function, etcetera from the book so that i may become professional or is it all right if i don't learn these things and carry on with my career as i am doing right now. i must add that i am doing masters in mathematics from a university in my city. and doing two things at a same time requires a lot of efforts.
Please guide me keeping in mind that i want to adapt web programming as a hobby and part-time-profession(home based/freelance/etc)

[quote]do i need to learn some new skills or my knowledge of php and html is sufficient for this purpose?[/quote]
We wouldn't know really would we? Copying a site would be pretty simple however I imagine. Just list all the features, then start programming.

As for needing to know all the functions without reference material. With practice you'll stop using them as much, but I still find myself (especially when Im using php - its very disorganised / un-standardized) using reference materials (the manual) quite often.

[quote]Copying a site would be pretty simple however I imagine. Just list all the features, then start programming.[/quote]
First: do i need to copy the website that i want to clone to my harddrive for the purpose of duplication. remember, my question was in reference to the jobs that are offered at freelance websites asking for programmers to clone websites for money. does this thing really benefit?

[quote]I still find myself (especially when Im using php - its very disorganised / un-standardized) using reference materials (the manual) quite often.[/quote]
with due respect please tell me your level of expertise in programming so that i may consider myself of some worth....

raza if you have ftp access to download this then you already have all teh scripts you need. When people ask for clones of a site it means they don't have teh scripts but want to copy the functionality/services offered on that site.

If the latter is the group you fit into then saving the site to your hard drvie is pointless.

There is a significant amopunt of wrok to be done just to record what functionality you wish to re-create on your site and ow you want to do that. Once that is finalised you can start to design your database so it can hold the relevant info in a structed manner. THEN you can plan your code and start the design. At that point you need to worry about what aspects of php you know/need to learn. Planning the code is good way of helping you focus on what you need to learn and to leave the other stuff out.

Hope that helps you a little.

[quote]do i need to copy the website that i want to clone to my harddrive for the purpose of duplication[/quote]

Php runs on the server so its not a simple matter of copying the site to your hardrive, that only gets you the layout. As I said... you'd need to write down the functionality and go from there.

[quote]with due respect please tell me your level of expertise in programming so that i may consider myself of some worth....[/quote]
Ive been programming on and off for about 7 years in various different languages, php for maybe the last 2-3 of those.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.