MySQL query to have category appear once.

SauloA

I've been hitting my head against the wall trying to figure this out.  :facewall:

I have a video table and a video category table.  The tables are pretty much set up like the following:

video_tbl

------------

video_id

video_title

video_cat_id

video_cat_tbl

-----------------

video_cat_id

video_cat

I wrote this query and it works fine.

SELECT video_cat, video_title
FROM video_tbl, video_cat_tbl
WHERE video_cat_tbl.video_cat_id = video_tbl.video_cat_id

The only problem is that the category appears in every row, as it should.  I want it to appear only once.  Something like the following.

Video Category 1

--------------------

Video 1

Video 2

Video Category 2

---------------------

Video 3

Video 4

I'm trying to create a recordset that will display the videos under a certain category.  I was looking into using GROUP BY, DISTINCT, or JOIN in the SQL query but I can't figure out what to do.  I'd appreciate the help.

This is a formatting issue, not a MySQL issue.

MySQL will always give you back a 2-dimensional (spreadsheet like) view of your data. So you need to use PHP (or another scripting language) to parse out the result into the view you want (3-dimensional).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.