Firefox or IE ?

Cetanu

Well what do you guys prefer? I love Firefox.

However, on other forums I have this debate with people and they always seem to choose IE, but then you have the informed people that use FF. ;D

IE should just...die. Though I've heard v8 is better. Sad that it IE 8 tries to do what FF has done in 3.5.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IE 6 should die, I'm not bothered about IE 7 - It's not too bad, IE 8 is even better. Though my main daily browser is FireFox 3.0, of which I will get around to manually upgrading to 3.5 at some point as it won't be pushed to the Ubuntu 9.04 repos.

I only stick with FireFox because of the Web Developer Toolbar and FireBug plug-ins, otherwise I'd drop it. I find it get's annoyingly sluggish at times, and this is on an i7 based machine... I like what I have seen of Chrome, just waiting for a Linux release.

I'll have to agree with that. The only reason why I'm sticking with FF is because of the extensions. Otherwise I would probably be using Chrome. It is much faster than FF. Maybe it would get bogged down with my extensions and bookmarks too though. I'm not sure.

I thought I saw this thread get locked. >.> <.<

Unfortunately I have noticed that FF keeps freezing up my laptop. I may have to get rid of some plugins. When I used Google Chrome (when it first came out) I kept noticing little things I didn't like. Maybe it's better.

IE should just...die. Though I've heard v8 is better.

V8 is a javascript engine (which Chrome uses if I'm not mistaken), so you're comparing an engine to a whole browser...not sure what that statement is supposed to mean. As others have mentioned, I use Firefox, but only for webdev due to its plugins/addons. My main weapon of choice is Chrome (although I feel Google is rushing versions a tad quick [perhaps due to user perception? think along the lines of xbox360 instead of xbox2 vs playstation 3]). Once Chrome gets plugins / extensions though, I'm sure it will really start to take off.. I just hope Chrome doesn't get bloated like FF.

As for IE, I personally would love nothing more than to see it drop off the face of the browser market (its browser shares are falling, which is encouraging news). Sadly, its going to in all likelyhood stick around (even if it continues to tumble downwards), as too many people, businesses and educational facilities make use of it. MS is really trying to get IE up to par (but still has ways to go yet). I will not be using it for any other purpose than testing to see if sites I work on display ok on it.

I always use FF, but I didn't mind IE7 at all until last night. For some damn reason IE7 makes all text ligher (font-weight becomes lighter) when auto-generating code through javascript. It's like WTF? Can't IE implement innerhtml properly? I mean innerhtml was microsoft's invention...

IE should just...die. Though I've heard v8 is better.

V8 is a javascript engine (which Chrome uses if I'm not mistaken), so you're comparing an engine to a whole browser...not sure what that statement is supposed to mean.

I meant v8 of IE. I have no idea what the other v8 is. :sweat::D

So I downloaded Google Chrome and I've noticed a huge boost in speed. I can now listen to iTunes and browse the Web simultaneously without having my computer freeze!!! :D

Yeah, so far, quite light and fast. So long as it stays that way, I'm happy with it too. Version 3 isn't worth writing home about though (even if it is in fact 30% faster than v2 as they claim it to be).. perhaps we'll be lucky to see plugins / addons in version 4.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guys I think having IE6 is kind of good because of the challenges.

I know by saying that I make so many enemies. :D

I dont mind IE7 or IE8.

Done.

:headslap:            :tease-03:

Using Chrome right now, and I prefer it for 99% of my browsing.  I download stuff and watch videos on youtube in Firefox though.  For some reason YouTube likes to do weird stuff in Chrome....  I think it has something to do with how I went about installing Chrome, but I've been too lazy to fix it.

When ever I open up IE 8 for compatibility testing, I usually have to dig around a while before I find the shortcut.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.