problem with ID string in MySQL

daneth1712

Hi,

We used to use a .NET and MSSQL database for our site, we are in the process of changing everything to PHP/MySQL.

On our previous setup we had an ID field that would create a string like the one below for each user that completed a form and auto insert it into the database.

dc2479e5-cdf1-4682-8efa-016bbf693426

Now my problem is this... I already have an auto increment field in the table, how do I ensure that this 'ID' field continues to insert this type of string onto every new entry?

Any help is really appreciated.

Was that field created by MSSQL? i.e. a custom datatype? Because that's what it appears to be.

If so, you will have to create a trigger (in MySQL) to generate this, or (better option) get PHP to generate an ID along the lines of what you were getting before, and insert that into the table.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I have never used MSSQL and had no involvement personally in the creation of the MSSQL database, but from my understanding, yes this was a 'custom datatype'.

How do I create a trigger in MySQL to generate this? Or the better option of making PHP do it?

Thanks for your help so far!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.