Critiques needed

lostprophetpunk

The first one that can be critiqued is My Old Portfolio Design.

I never got around to putting content up on there apart from a few blog posts. The blog system was made by myself.

The second one is this. It's for the website I have now. I have nearly finished coding the whole site. The guy is a piece of artwork by myself.

The third one is this. This was actually going to be the design for the blog system (made by myself) but I decided against it. If you want to see it in action here (I know their are some cross browser css issues, I just never fixed them because I wasn't going to use the design anymore).

Hope you like them.

Old portfolio design:

Very dark, too dark I think. Makes you want to try and look at the monitor from a different angle to see the design features properly. Also it's broken in IE7.

Second one:

The second one looks like it'd be alright, but too hard to really tell from that small picture.

Third one:

Not keen at all, doesn't flow. The font of the logo doesn't fit. The content hangs to the left despite there being nothing on the right and the logo centered. The 3 levels of gradients at the top aren't really effective. I wouldn't post an admin link either to be honest.

Although only the first one failed validation the mark-up in both is quite poor, for, what I'm assuming is a web design/development portfolio of some kind? I think you should try and go with a more whiter, sharper design and improve the mark-up.

Old portfolio design:

Very dark, too dark I think. Makes you want to try and look at the monitor from a different angle to see the design features properly. Also it's broken in IE7.

Second one:

The second one looks like it'd be alright, but too hard to really tell from that small picture.

Third one:

Not keen at all, doesn't flow. The font of the logo doesn't fit. The content hangs to the left despite there being nothing on the right and the logo centered. The 3 levels of gradients at the top aren't really effective. I wouldn't post an admin link either to be honest.

Although only the first one failed validation the mark-up in both is quite poor, for, what I'm assuming is a web design/development portfolio of some kind? I think you should try and go with a more whiter, sharper design and improve the mark-up.

The one you said that was too small to see...click on 'download' and you will get this.

Also, for the old portfolio design...I never bothered finishing the markup as I never wanted to. This is because I wanted to concentrate on the functionality of the blog system, rather than the markup. I left that so I could work on my blog system to make it better. Which is what will be shown on my website along the second one.

Just a comment on your 1st (old) site:

Contrary to the view of the first response to your post, I love the dark feel.

It's a look which will become dated very quickly, I suspect, having much in common with the hi-tech metallic Mac-ish bandwagon, but whether or not I'm right about that, it doesn't stop me from liking it a lot.

Your use of colour and space is extremely effective. It's far from innovative - not that that matters necessarily - but it's erudite, stylish, and apposite to its subject matter.

Me likes, me likes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.