PHP Error Messages

AmbroseChapel

Hi, I'm very much out of practice with PHP (more used to Perl) and I need some help on error messages and functions.

I'm used to doing something like

[code]open(FILE,'>something.txt') || die "$!";[/code]

in Perl and having my code die with something useful in the output. I also use CGI::Carp's 'fatalsToBrowser' a lot to get output to the browser when something goes wrong.

When I'm coding now in PHP and something's wrong, I get blank output in the browser and no hint of where to start. I can get the line number from __LINE__ but not the error message from the function.

What do I have to do to see warnings and errors, as in for instance the above example -- I was doing [b]imagejpeg()[/b] output to a file and it didn't get written but I couldn't figure out why not. (Safe mode problems, it turns out, see the Manual, [url=http://au.php.net/manual/en/function.imagejpeg.php#58391]http://au.php.net/manual/en/function.imagejpeg.php#58391[/url])

Apologies if this question has a very obvious answer. I have done some searching, honestly!

No there definitely isn't an at-symbol before the function.

Take this as an example:

[code]imagejpeg($object,'img/image.jpg');[/code]

if I can't write to "img" because there's a permissions problem. How will I know it's a permissions problem?

Doesn't the [b]imagejpeg()[/b] function return "insufficient permissions" or "Error writing file" or just zero?

And how can I grab that error message?

OK I figured out that my hosting provider has got their "display_errors" set to "Off" in the shared php.ini, and what I did was use this to turn errors back on:

[code]
  error_reporting ( 4096 );
  ini_set ( display_errors, 1 );[/code]

which seems to be what I wanted.

Here's another question -- when I try to print out to the browser any variable from $_POST or $_GET my script silently dies, even with the error setting above. I'm guessing this is a security measure? It's very confusing. How can I get around that?

[quote author=AmbroseChapel link=topic=103662.msg413564#msg413564 date=1155257789]
Here's another question -- when I try to print out to the browser any variable from $_POST or $_GET my script silently dies, even with the error setting above. I'm guessing this is a security measure? It's very confusing. How can I get around that?
[/quote]

That sounds like either a script problem or time to dump your host.  Post some of your 'non-working' code that declines to echo $_POST variables.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.