PHP 5.3 hosting?

Liquid Fire

Does anyone know of any good hosting companies that allow you to host PHP 5.3?  At list point in time I would much rather not go the route of a VPS because 1.  They tend to be a bit more expensive and 2. Shared hosting would work for use right now but IF i have to do VPS to get PHP 5.3 I guess I will.

I can't speak for other providers, but I am waiting for mine (GoDaddy) to make the switch over to 5.3 as well. But they have a history of not upgrading right away. On the one hand, I can only presume it is to make sure there are no surprise security issues and what not.. but on the other hand, holding off too long isn't good either. Especially in this case, as 5.3 is a big enough jump from 5.2 imo (being that it incorporates some features that originally were going to be held off for version 6).

But yeah, it might take some time for 5.3 to become truly mainstream. I guess it's on a case by case basis, completely dependant on the hosting provider in question. Have you checked some of the more popular providers (blue host, host gator, etc..) to see what their current specs are? (some sites might only specify PHP 5, so you might have to use some sort of live chat that they may have to poke and prod to find out)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Use the form on the page to let me know of any others.  Hope this helps  :)

I hate your form. I wrote a long description of my host, but for whatever reason your form decided the url I use to access their webpage is not a valid url and it send my work to /dev/null

Use the form on the page to let me know of any others.  Hope this helps  :)

I hate your form. I wrote a long description of my host, but for whatever reason your form decided the url I use to access their webpage is not a valid url and it send my work to /dev/null

$fp = fopen('/dev/null', w+)

fputs($fp, $Mchl->longdesc);

fclose($fp);

That's the source code.

Sorry, the description is limited to 500.

What was the url you tried to enter?

I believe it was shorter than 500 chars. The URL had a trailing slash at the end. It seems that removing it fixes the issue.

Sorry, the description is limited to 500.

What was the url you tried to enter?

I believe it was shorter than 500 chars. The URL had a trailing slash at the end. It seems that removing it fixes the issue.

Your time of the month?  :tease-03:

• 1 month later...

Part of confusion arises from php.net itself, for example: http://snaps.php.net/

While you might want to try it out, do not use PHP 6 for production purposes. There's no telling when it will be actually released, and what features from current development versions will it contain.

Just stick to 5.3 for now.

Whats so critical that you must have 5.3 over 5.2?

Why don't you just read the changelog?

Anyway, here are just a few of the changes off the top of my head:

* Namespaces

* Late static binding

* Lambda expressions

* goto

* NOWDOC

* Phar

* General runtime and GC improvements

* Per host/path sections in php.ini

* Numerous additions to the SPL

* libmysql is replaced by the faster mysqlnd

* Extra date/time functionality such as date diffs and DateInterval

* Dynamic access of static class members

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.