Re-designed site, Please review the test homepage.

lynxus

Hi All,

Thanks for reviewing my previous attempt,

Ive taken on board your suggestions and decided to learn CSS and using DIVs rather than tables and here is my first attempt at it:

My OLD page http://www.imsupporting.com

My NEW page http://www.imsupporting.com/newsite

( Not all links work, But you should be able to see what it will be like )

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Graham

Here are my thoughts:

Validation:

- Your page doesn't validate, nor does your css.

Graphics and Layout:

- Looks nicer than the older one imo. Nice to see it accommodate 1024px wide. Fairly clean and simple.

- The icons look they could be more crisp and have slightly more contrast, as the look too soft and washed out.

- The raw font style looks neglected. Should be more stylized imo.

- While I'm not opposed to keeping many graphics in one image to reduce http requests, I think this is overkill: http://www.imsupporting.com/newsite/images/bg.jpg

This reduces layout flexibility options, as you are confined due to the image. I would build css spritesheets that serve distinct functionality (all icons in one sheet, all panel chunks in another, etc..). Build your layout with more css involvement that allows you to make changes / adjustments.

- I am noticing some link styling css embedded within the head tag of the document.. I would consider making the css an external stylesheet, that way if you want to make sweeping changes to links, fonts, etc.. it can all be done from a simple external file that propagates all the changes in one shot.

SEO:

- I find the meta keywords section useless in today's seo climate.

- Your meta description feels more like keyword stuffing. I would make it natural sounding that is geared towards humans, but retain well selected key words in it.

- You lack heading tags (like <h1>, <h2>, etc..). These tags play an important role in search engine results. I think I would consider reading up on SEO and implement SEO into your site to increase search engine visibility.

All in all, not horrible by any stretch, but could use room for improvement from both code and graphics standpoint. The site does present itself nicely though.

I am actually going to be honest here, I prefer the old site design to the new site design. The old site design was nice and simple, and has some nice eye-catching graphics.

If you would be able to turn that old layout into divs, then that would be a good layout. The only thing that needs major improving in the old design is to removed the gray border around everything...then it would be quite a good design.

The new design though, it is only slightly better than the original design. Mainly because of the mainbg.png pointed out in nrg_alpha's post. The other thing I have noticed, whilst browsing through the markup of your page, is that you have two sections for the CSS...why is that, why not stick it all in one style two (rather than two) and put it in the head of the page.

Another thing I noticed that the only fonts you really used (apart from 'Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif' in the .button class), is Geneva and Sans-serif. When I see a site use the same font over and over, it get's boring. Use about three different fonts. Like for the headers of the content parts, use serifs and sans-serifs for the content of the page.

If you need to learn about fonts for a web page, you can view this article on ilovetypography.

I hope this has helped.

Great feedback guys,

ive removed the gray outlines now. I agree, it does look better.

Im also looking at changing to div etc for the old site. ( Still deciding what site is best ) - I personally think my new one is better but thats only cos i made it lol.

-The new site now has an external stylesheet.

-New keywords ( probably no better lol )

-In process of sortingfonts.

-Looking at breaking the BG image down.

Any other thoughts would be great.

Ta all,

-G

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.