Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCook

Geting the highest primary key from a MySQL db with php

Hi all,

Here's my problem, I'm adding a new item to the databvase, and this item has an image also.  The image is named using the primary key of the item.  So, what I need is to get the next primary key index number before I upload the image and insert it into the db.  I used to knwo how to do this, but I haven't done it in ages, so now I'm up a creek :-)  Any help would be great.

out of curiosity, why do you need to know the [b]next[/b] key before you insert it? why not insert it and then get the id you just put in with mysql_insert_id()?

Well, first, I don't use mysql_insert_id.  I use mysql_query, and the id is auto_incremented.  Now, I could just insert the data, then query the db again with the data to be sure I get the right key, but in the event the db is being used by many users, you could get incorrect data.  I guess that's probably the solution, but I know there's a way to do this, I just an't remember, or find the code :-)

[code]<?php
//dont forget to connect to the db
$query="SELECT id FROM `table` ORDER BY id DESC LIMIT 1";
$result=mysql_query($query);
$row=mysql_fetch_array($result);
echo $row['id']; //will echo the last id
?>[/code]

Just change "id" with the column name and "table" with the table's name.

Orio.

lock table
insert some data
mysql_inser_id
unlock table
update data

[quote author=SCook link=topic=103726.msg413274#msg413274 date=1155224269]
Well, first, I don't use mysql_insert_id.  I use mysql_query, and the id is auto_incremented.  Now, I could just insert the data, then query the db again with the data to be sure I get the right key, but in the event the db is being used by many users, you could get incorrect data.  I guess that's probably the solution, but I know there's a way to do this, I just an't remember, or find the code :-)
[/quote]

ok, check out the manual for mysql_insert_id(). it's not a replacement for mysql_query(), it simply [b]RETURNS THE ID OF THE LAST INSERTED ROW[/b], which apparently is what you're after. so, you would do something like this:
[code]
<?php
$sql = mysql_query("INSERT INTO tableName (myColumns) VALUES (myValues)");
if ($sql) {
  // query successful, echo generated ID
  echo mysql_insert_id();
}
?>
[/code]

this removes the risk of someone inserting another record before you can query for the MAX(id). it also saves you from having to lock your tables (never a good option from a user interface). it returns the last inserted id from your [i]current connection[/i], so you can be sure it's the record you just inserted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.