Simple matching script with MySQL and HTML forms help

DillyDong

Hello, all, I've got a question I hope you can help me out with.

I've got a database with two columns, one is called `the_question`, and the other is `the_answer`. Say the database looks like this:

[code]
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
|`the_question`|`the_answer`|
|++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
|Apple        | Red        |
|Banana        | Green      |
|Grape        | Purple    |
|Blueberry    | Blue      |
|Cherry        | Red        |
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[/code]

Now, what I want to do is have a form on a page where on the left-hand column, each value from `the_question` is listed, and on the right of each `the_question` value, there should be an input box where the user should enter the appropriate answer.
Now, I want to pass this data to a new page via form action, and I want the next page to check the user's responses against the appropriate `the_answer`fields. I'm having trouble understanding exactly how to do this. The script I have for the first page is:

[b]test_1.php[/b]
[code]
<form method="post" action="test_2.php">
<table>
<tr><td>Apple</td><td><input type="text" name="(don't know what to put here)" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Banana</td><td><input type="text" name="(don't know what to put here)" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Grape</td><td><input type="text" name="(don't know what to put here)" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Blueberry</td><td><input type="text" name="(don't know what to put here)" /></td></tr>
<tr><td>Cherry</td><td><input type="text" name="(don't know what to put here)" /></td></tr>
</table>
<input type="submit" value="Submit" />
</form>
[/code]

[b]test_2.php[/b]
[code]
<?php
foreach($_POST as $value) {
$data = $_POST; }

foreach($data as $data_for_query) {
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE `the_answer` = ".$data_for_query.";";
$query = mysql_query($sql);
if(empty(mysql_num_rows($query))) {
echo "Sorry, the correct answer was: " ;
//And at this point, how do I get it to return the correct answer? All I passed through the form was user input :(
else {
echo "Good job.";
}
}
?>
[/code]

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have no idea.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.