WTF Is this ?, Help!.

jamesxg1

Hello peeps,

Can someone for the love of god tell me how to use this little snippet of code please,

(??:[;]+|(<[?%](?:php)?)).*(?:define|eval|file_get_contents|include|require|require_once|set|shell_exec|phpinfo|system|passthru|preg_\w+|execute)\s*["(@])

Many many thanks,

James.

=/ this is very complex and complicated stuff =/,

I dont understand it all. I never got on too well with preg functions or regex.

Could someone show me how to use it please, Or point me on the right track :).

Many thanks,

James.

You don't get a pattern handed to you and then ask how to make use of it. You usually create a pattern to meat some need.

There is a tutorial on the main site that explains regex in some detail.

I know but what i did was run the SmokeTest on PHPIDS and they gave me these snippets to help but never specified how to use them,

And they look very complicated and well too complex for me.

Many thanks,

James.

The regex tutorial on here ?,

I have i thought to myself why would PHPIDS give me a code that supposedly can be used straight away when i have to edit it,

And i shall have another look to see if i can get the hang of it but its very hard lol,

Many thanks,

James.

As roopart said, that regex looks like it would be handy as a filter for eval. Are you passing user input into eval? Are you allowing users to create .php files on your server?

Im on php.net now trying to see if i can use that function :),

and no :),

Many thanks,

James.

Perhaps asking PHPIDS themselves, or on the PHPIDS forum would get better help? I'm sure if this is something they hand out someone else must use it.

I have browsed page by page and unfortunately  that do not offer any support on usage :(,

Many thanks,

James.

I wasn't suggesting you should use eval for anything. eval is probably considered one of the biggest security holes available if not protected as it allows users to execute arbitrary code if your not real careful with it.

I wouldn't recommend it for anything especially if your not sure what your doing.

I wasn't suggesting you should use eval for anything. eval is probably considered one of the biggest security holes available if not protected as it allows users to execute arbitrary code if your not real careful with it.

I wouldn't recommend it for anything especially if your not sure what your doing.

Lol im glad you told me that thanks dude :), not that i can get the hang of it anyway haha!.

Many thanks,

James.

(??:[;]+|(<[?%](?:php)?)).*(?:define|eval|file_get_contents|include|require|require_once|set|shell_exec|phpinfo|system|passthru|preg_\w+|execute)\s*["(@])

Match the regular expression below «(??:[;]+|(<[?%](?:php)?)).*(?:define|eval|file_get_contents|include|require|require_once|set|shell_exec|phpinfo|system|passthru|preg_\w+|execute)\s*["(@])»
   Match the regular expression below «(?:[;]+|(<[?%](?:php)?))»
      Match either the regular expression below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «[;]+»
         Match the character “;” «[;]+»
            Between one and unlimited times, as many times as possible, giving back as needed (greedy) «+»
      Or match regular expression number 2 below (the entire group fails if this one fails to match) «(<[?%](?:php)?)»
         Match the regular expression below and capture its match into backreference number 1 «(<[?%](?:php)?)»
            Match the character “<” literally «<»
            Match a single character present in the list “?%” «[?%]»
            Match the regular expression below «(?:php)?»
               Between zero and one times, as many times as possible, giving back as needed (greedy) «?»
               Match the characters “php” literally «php»
   Match any single character that is not a line break character «.*»
      Between zero and unlimited times, as many times as possible, giving back as needed (greedy) «*»
   Match the regular expression below «(?:define|eval|file_get_contents|include|require|require_once|set|shell_exec|phpinfo|system|passthru|preg_\w+|execute)»
      Match either the regular expression below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «define»
         Match the characters “define” literally «define»
      Or match regular expression number 2 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «eval»
         Match the characters “eval” literally «eval»
      Or match regular expression number 3 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «file_get_contents»
         Match the characters “file_get_contents” literally «file_get_contents»
      Or match regular expression number 4 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «include»
         Match the characters “include” literally «include»
      Or match regular expression number 5 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «require»
         Match the characters “require” literally «require»
      Or match regular expression number 6 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «require_once»
         Match the characters “require_once” literally «require_once»
      Or match regular expression number 7 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «set»
         Match the characters “set” literally «set»
      Or match regular expression number 8 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «shell_exec»
         Match the characters “shell_exec” literally «shell_exec»
      Or match regular expression number 9 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «phpinfo»
         Match the characters “phpinfo” literally «phpinfo»
      Or match regular expression number 10 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «system»
         Match the characters “system” literally «system»
      Or match regular expression number 11 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «passthru»
         Match the characters “passthru” literally «passthru»
      Or match regular expression number 12 below (attempting the next alternative only if this one fails) «preg_\w+»
         Match the characters “preg_” literally «preg_»
         Match a single character that is a “word character” (letters, digits, etc.) «\w+»
            Between one and unlimited times, as many times as possible, giving back as needed (greedy) «+»
      Or match regular expression number 13 below (the entire group fails if this one fails to match) «execute»
         Match the characters “execute” literally «execute»
   Match a single character that is a “whitespace character” (spaces, tabs, line breaks, etc.) «\s*»
      Between zero and unlimited times, as many times as possible, giving back as needed (greedy) «*»
   Match a single character present in the list “"(@” «["(@]»

Created with RegexBuddy

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.