[SOLVED] moon dance

Ninjakreborn

Well, you get what you ask for.  :P

I make it a point to deliver what I promise.  ;D

It's been a good excersize for me, putting into words some of the things I've learned. I wouldn't publish a text like this though (although the difference between 'posting' and 'publishing' is rather trivial). It needs a lot of proofreading and better grouping. But as you can understand I won't bother with that.  ;)

Glad to be of service, more so because like I said, it's been benificial to myself also.

C'mon, that just isn't true.

The original Golden Lily had the same dimensions as the optimized image I posted. Now look at this version:

[url=http://www.moondancedesign.com/images/goldenlily.jpg][img]http://www.moondancedesign.com/images/goldenlily.jpg[/img][/url]

BTW, the images still load slow. I'm asking myself what exactly you mean by 'optimizing'. Preloading certainly isn't optimizing, it doesn't reduce latency one bit.

Plus, I shouldn't even have to download them again because I downloaded the same files last time I visited your site. This is why client/proxy caching is so important!

If that's "optimized" with Fireworks 'optimize' then it isn't doing any compression as far as I can tell.  The image illustrates - on the left an 18kb Fireworks 'optimised' version; on the right the same image compressed with Photoshop.

[img]http://www.halfadot.com/temp/optimized-not.jpg[/img]

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=103854.msg418381#msg418381 date=1155961381]
...  how the hell am I going to fix this,
[/quote]

Well, you can't resize the small pictures back to big ones, so it's back to square one and start again.

I use fireworks (8 ), but I can't spot an 'optimize' function...

Choose "File>Image Preview".

For pictures, use jpeg. Use the lowest quality setting that produces acceptable output. Click "export".

Wait a second, found it. "Window>Optimize". Thing is, you have to choose "File>Export", not "File>Save" in order to have the changes you make have any effect. The "Image Preview" is better because you need to see what effect your changes have before you export.

• 2 weeks later...
I am going through this week and next redoing most of the things on that review, I was looking for advice for the images, I know I can pre-load in javascript, that will help load times, but they load slow as hell, someone mentioned compression, I have never done that before, how do you do it, I will do that on all the images.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=103854.msg428044#msg428044 date=1157406835]
I am going through this week and next redoing most of the things on that review, I was looking for advice for the images, I know I can pre-load in javascript, that will help load times, but they load slow as hell, someone mentioned compression, I have never done that before, how do you do it, I will do that on all the images.
[/quote]

Have you read ANYTHING I wrote? Preloading will NOT reduce latency.

Here is where I explain how to optimize images for size using fireworks:

[quote=448191]Choose "File>Image Preview".

For pictures, use jpeg. Use the lowest quality setting that produces acceptable output. Click "export".[/quote]

[u][i]Edit:[/i][/u] "Optimizing", in this case, means getting the best compression with the least visual loss of quality.

If you have any questions at all about the advice I gave you, please, please let me know. It's not very satisfying for me if you don't understand it, I'd be happy to explain anything further.

Ok I am confused, I have never had to do compression/optimization, because I never did a graphics heavy site before.  I don't get this, I tried doing them all with photoshop "save for web" and that
1. didn't reduce any file size
2. Made just a copy of every image
3. took forever, to do all of those galleries, just 10 actually.

I tried with fireworks
1. It didn't reduce size
2. It took forever
3. It's not changing anything
I even tried finding online compression tools, how does everyone else compress there images.

Businessman to optimize an image in Fireworks is a breaze, same for photoshop.

Open an image into fireworks, then click the [b]2-Up buttom[/b] to the right of the Preview button. What this will do is open up two versions of the same image into two views, the left is the original image (uncompressed/optimized) the right is the what the final image will look like when it has been optimized/compressed. You'll also see the file size of the orginal and and what the final image file size will be when you have optimized it.

To optimixe the image make sure the Optimize pallete is open (press F6 or go to Window > Optimize).  Now play around with the options in the otimize pallete. Note: You can reduce the file size of an image quite bit by lowering how many colors are in the image. However if you make it too low it'll affect the images appearence. So rather than having 256 colors or more reduce it down little by little. Once you notice there is a big difference between the left and the right you know you've reduced the colors too much, so you'll want to increase it, so you cant see much difference between the two images, the thing you should notice is the file sizes are different, the right should be lower than whats on the right.

Changing the color isnt all of what optimisation is, but its one step towards optimising an image.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=103854.msg428476#msg428476 date=1157468196]
how does everyone else compress there images.
[/quote]

Photoshop
file > open
select all
file > new OK
edit > copy
image > image size
.. whatever you want as the new size
file > save for web

Now there are choices in the 'settings' that appear. Plus you can show the image alone, or in '2 up' and '4 up' modes. Choose jpg as the image type, adjust quality / compression to suit (there's a preview).  When you're happy, click the save button.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=103854.msg428500#msg428500 date=1157469609]
ah, ok thanks, I will do that on all the images then, and see how htey all turn out in the end, will this be enough to make them load fast enough, or should I put in pre-load too, or is there something else I can do, or will this be enough to make it load fast.
[/quote]

The smaller the number of bytes that get downloaded, the faster it will be :)

pre-loading makes the visitor wait for all the pre-loaded files to arrive (hence the name), then displays the page with pre-loaded images now 'instantly' available.  You can wait at the start or wait in the middle. There's no free lunch.

Ah thanks once I get all the images done, I am going to go through the other critiques I have recieved throughout this entire thread, and change everything when I do the next update, the ask for another, I have that long critique, from the numbered name posted 4410 something, I will be going through all of that too, and changing everything that I can on that list, and seeing if anyone has more advice after that, thanks for all the help so far.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=103854.msg428500#msg428500 date=1157469609]
... or should I put in pre-load too,...
[/quote]

Am I talking Chinese or what? I already told you TWICE, once VERY VERY explicitly that preloading will NOT NOT NOT NEVER EVER NO WAY reduce latency.

You're just not listening!

If you wanted to know WHY preloading doesn't reduce latency, all you had to do was ask.

[quote=businessman332211]from the numbered name posted 4410 something[/quote]

How very respectful.  >:(

I'll try and behave, but I have to admit my blood is boiling right now.... :-X

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=103854.msg428544#msg428544 date=1157472807]
2 questions
1. how does it not reduce latency, what is latency, and what  does the number in your name stand for.
And sorry I called you some number, I was too lazy to look it up.
[/quote]

Lazy you are indeed. It took me about 3 seconds to find you [url=http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/L/latency.html]a definition of latency![/url]

Edit: for the record; 3 seconds, that is less time than it takes to post a question asking for a definition.

Andy already explained [i]the why[/i] to you, don't tell me you need it explained again.

Not that it is any of your business but 44, 81 and 91 are the years three people I cared much for were born. They all died in a 2 year timeframe.

Nah, I'm f***ing with ya. It's my personalnumber at work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.