zend framework - Where to start?

Derleek

Hey there PHP freaks!

I have been messing around with the zend framework for the past couple days.  As I understand it, it is a very useful tool in a php developer's toolbox.

I have been struggling with where exactly to start!

After reading some of the quickstart guide I felt rather overwhelmed with some of the built-in components that are essential to a Zend Framework based application.

SO I started reading up on the programmer's refference guide (aka the manual).

I am just wondering the best place for a web-developer, with an average understanding of PHP/mysql, to start chipping away at this framework?

In my opinion, it is good to have some experience with frameworks before you jump into ZF. It is a quite complex piece of code and rather a framework construction kit than a framework itself. My first contact was a bit negative, because I didn't know, how to connect all this stuff etc. but I got back to it later with more knowledge and found it easier.

I actually found ZF pretty easy to get started with but more complex tasks where, um, more complex.

If you've started by reading the quickstart your probably ready to just jump and and start building applications. The reference can be a bit overwhelming if you just read it for the sake of reading it (obviously its good to know whats available though). There are allot of components documented there that aren't essential to most applications.

Your main focus (IMO) should probably be getting to know how to use Zend_Application to bootstrap your app, get to know Zend_Controller and how you can make use of plugins and helpers, Zend_View and its helpers, then of course Zend_Form, Zend_Db and the entire routing process (comes under Zend_Controller).

You should get to know most of these reasonably well by building any type of application.

From there you just need the reference as specific requirements pop up.

My 2c

Zend Framework is a component library and framework for PHP 5. ZF believes in OOP. It uses a lot of design patters. I would recommend you to get acquainted with OOP before you start using ZF. It will be easier to understand ZF if you understand its motivations.

I made the mistake of jumping straight into Zend without a good knowledge of OOP and frameworks in general.  Needless to say ive been stressed out getting to grips.  In the end I found the ZendCasts website very helpful.  I started from the beginning and by writing out the code alongside the videos I quickly picked up the basics.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.