MSSQL vs MySQL

ShoeLace1291

Hello, I have a couple of questions about MicrosoftSQL.  I recently enrolled in a class for college called "Intro to Business Software" which is required by my major(web development).  The class required that I purchase Microsoft Office 2007 so I can do assignments at home.  MySQL and PHP have been my primary resources for managing dynamic web content and databases, however, since the Office purchase includes Microsoft Access(which is one of the programs covered in the class), I was wondering if I would be able to use the Access databases I create on the web.  How different is MySQL from MSSQL as far as PHP coding is concerned, and is it difficult to learn MSSQL syntax for PHP?

• 2 months later...

I'm not an expert in MSSQL and I'm not sure on the major differences, however the queries / code are very similar, borderline identical in most areas.

All the basic queries, SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE etc etc are just the same in both, from what ive seen its mainly the more advanced functions which are differently coded.

As I say I'm not an expert in MSSQL tho so don't know the major differences, I have always used MySQL but recently had to convert a site which uses MSSQL to MySQL and everything barring a few things was just the same.

MS Access is not MSSQL.

Access is basically a flat file database using JET Engine. It scales out to multiple users very badly. It is possible to convert Access databases to MSSQL databases and even use forms and reports created in Access with MSSQL server, however I doubt your class will ocver this topic.

And BTW: WTF?? They REQUIRE that you buy the software? Don't they have MSDNAA account?

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.