DB code not working

michaelmuller

I'm new to PHP and just copied some code from a LAMP box to my Windows server. I ported the mySql database to MS Sql and modified all the PHP code to use MSSQL_* instead of MYSQL_* and made sure that php.ini properly loads c:\php\ext\php_mssql.dll

When the following code runs, it just fails, silently. I only see "Config Start" in the output. Nothing after it.

Any advice?

Mik

------------------

<p>Config Start</p>

<?php

$db = "mydbname";

$link = mssql_connect("localhost","username","userpw") or die("Could not connect: ");

?>

<p>Config End</p>

Update:

I realized after the fact that I hadn't added any MSSQL.* settings to php.ini.  Now that I have, I am getting the "die" code to display, ie; "Could not connect: "

I'm doing my best to RTFM but am only very slowly getting ahead. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

This is how I have the PHP code now:

<?php

$db = "[dbname]";

$link = mssql_connect("localhost\SQLEXPRESS","[username]","[password]") or die("Could not connect: ");

?>

------------------------------

[MSSQL]

mssql.allow_persistent = 1

mssql.max_persistent = -1

mssql.max_links = -1

mssql.min_error_severity = 10

mssql.min_message_severity = 10

mssql.compatability_mode = 0

mssql.connect_timeout = 5

mssql.timeout = 60

mssql.textsize = -1

mssql.textlimit = -1

mssql.batchsize  = 0

mssql.datetimeconvert = 1

mssql.secure_connection = 0

mssql.max_procs = -1

mssql.charset = UTF-8

If you echo mssql_get_last_message you can probably find out why the connection failed. Also, are you developing and debugging php code on a system with error_reporting set to E_ALL and display_errors set to ON in your php.ini to get php to display all the errors it detects. Stop and start your web server to get any change made to php.ini to take effect and confirm that the actual setting was changed using a phpinfo() statement.

I have now added the code you mention (just found it myself and was going to report update here and saw you thought of the same thing -- cool);

I also added the two lines you suggested to my php.ini file (and restarted the service).  Still getting nothing. And mssql_get_last_message(); is blank.

I guess my connect string is incorrect somehow. DA114 is my machine name.

<?php

$db = "[db_name]";

$link = mssql_connect("DA114\SQLEXPRESS","[username]","[password]") ;

echo "<p>yo 1</p>";

echo mssql_get_last_message();

echo "<p>yo 2</p>";

?>

I'm not getting any errors at all, until I actually run a query.  I have tested the query by copying it into a new query window in SQL Server Manager, and it works. Yet, through the PHP connection I get a fail, and no explanation.

I'm going to have to take a break from this, or I'm going to shoot someone.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.