Question about what type of JavaScript is being used?

kratsg

There are a lot of things that I do not like about jQuery. Why are methods like css() both getters and setters?

I'm the opposite - I like that.

I don't like it either :-P In my opinion, it makes the coding less standard (from the viewpoint of using functions/OOP):

Let's say we do the following:

$something = $_GET['something'];

But let's imagine this on a grander scale multiple times perhaps. And then let's say we change it so that this variable is either through sessions, or the data changes that we have to reanalyze it and get what we want...

function get_something(){
//do stuff here
return $output;
}

$something = get_something();

Now we've separated it out into a function... this way, we can only obtain the value we want, even if we changed the data around in a way that requires some work to retreive what we want... make sense?

Edit: I guess you could say i'm the kind of guy who would favor logic and separation over compactness. If I use something like "set_something()", then I could surmise that I'm setting the value I want into the correct variable in the correct way, without having to change anything else except the function. In this sense, I can use functions like these to also help with error reporting as well by using a check when I call get_something()... But that's just me.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old topic but I think something very important got missed and not mentioned about frameworks.

There are MANY of them out there and while there are "good" and "bad" ones, each has a strong suit. Each one is suited best for something different.

For instance, jQuery is great for beginners to the framework world for it's small learning curve. It is extremely well documented and has a great IRC channel (#jquery/#jqueryui on Freenode) for getting live help.

On the other hand, another AWESOME framework for working with vector (SVG) graphics is RaphaelJs. It is not as large as jQuery or Mootools or  Scriptaculous but it is designed with a specific functionality in mind. Where you cannot animate a div across the screen and then remove said div from the DOM and then submit a form, you CAN draw paths across a "canvas" to form a picture.

The point is, vest yourself in learning the differences of each one before relying on or another. I realy like the point of, learn javascript without a framework before delving into them. This will REALLY help you in the long run.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.