MD5 and different hash values

extrovertive

I'm using MD5 to hash passwords stored in a database.

However, as I insert test entries using the same password, I see the same hash value. That means, if I know my password and if another user has the same hash value in the database, that person has the same database as me.

How do I make MD5 hashing value all different even if users enter the same password? How does adding a salt to MD5 in PHP work?

Guest huey4657
So can this salt string be any characters you wish to put in the string or does there have to be a fixed length or types of characters

Just a random string. In my example salt was:
$salt="dsjfwngngiu3w";

You can make it even more complex with things like:
$salt_a="jgweg";
$salt_b="439683nfg";
$hash=md5($salt_a.$password.$salt_b);

You just have to keep in mind that every time a user log's in you need to add those strings before and after the password inorder it to match the one in the database.

Orio.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.