Requirements for hosting a website.

Nexous

I'm just wondering what kind of items would be required to host one website. What speed of the connection, what services could be added for security.

If anyone has any information on "creating your own host" that'd be great, except keep in mind, this is only for ONE website, not an actual hosting company.

Thanks,
Joe

[quote author=Nexous link=topic=104053.msg414864#msg414864 date=1155447693]
I'm just wondering what kind of items would be required to host one website. What speed of the connection, what services could be added for security.

If anyone has any information on "creating your own host" that'd be great, except keep in mind, this is only for ONE website, not an actual hosting company.

Thanks,
Joe
[/quote]

Basically one needs a webserver and an internet connection. If you want to have access to your site using a name instead of your ip number than you are going to need a domain name and someone that can server DNS.
The internet connection can be of any spead, though the faster the better off.  For the webserver, since you didn't mentioned which os you are running, I would guess Windows. I would recommend using WAMP (Windows, Apache, MysQL and PHP) You can download it here http://www.wampserver.com/en/  If you are happy using email from your provider (yourname@ispprovider.com) instead of a emai from you@yourdomainname.com Great :) If you want to have an email from you@yourdomainname.com, than you will need a mailserver.  Since I don't know what mailservers works with Windows I can not suggest any. If you were running Linux I would suggest Postfix.  The above can be setup on a very basic computer system.  Good luck  ::)

Okay, yes I'm using windows.

I currently have Xampp, which contains apache 2, php 5, etc. Except I'm using it just for personal development.

I'm running a dsl line, speed, I'm not sure. I'm also running through a Linksys Wireless Router. Someone to host the dns servers, how would that work? I'm fine with just using my regular isp email.

RockingGroudon: Are you using your PC? or a server tower?

The only problem is, I don't have a static IP, would that be a problem?

Thanks,
Joe

[quote author=Nexous link=topic=104053.msg415080#msg415080 date=1155495661]
Okay, yes I'm using windows.

I currently have Xampp, which contains apache 2, php 5, etc. Except I'm using it just for personal development.

I'm running a dsl line, speed, I'm not sure. I'm also running through a Linksys Wireless Router. Someone to host the dns servers, how would that work? I'm fine with just using my regular isp email.

RockingGroudon: Are you using your PC? or a server tower?

The only problem is, I don't have a static IP, would that be a problem?

Thanks,
Joe
[/quote]

Running it on a DSL should be fine.  You can check to see what speed your line it by going to
http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/  Choose a server to test from and it will report your upload and download speed. The upload speed it the one that is important to you. Not having a static ip is no problem, you will just need to use a service like noip.com or freedns.afraid.org or any of the many different ones available. FWIW it doesn't matter if you are using a PC or a tower.  GOOD LUCK  ;D

1287kbps = downloadspeed
312kbps = uploadspeed

Now that is going through wireless, now, I could have my laptop hooked up directly to the router, so I'm not sure if it'd be any faster. I'll test and edit.

Nope, it was the same, a few kb's off but, I imagine that it'd do the same thing wired or wireless..

Also, what about bandwidth, what is the chance of getting it over my limit? I mean, I don't want to have it limited to be able to hold only say 50 people at a time.

I am using it on a PC. And mercury works on windows. Since you use a router you would have to setup your Virtual Server settings, ask me here if you want to know how to do it. Your speed is gud so it would work good to. And for DNS use http://freedns.afraid.org like me. You dont need a domain but if you want you can buy one from http://www.register.com But freedns service has domains like us.to which look like professional domains to some ppl but it is better you use a domain for gud, prefessional and a huge site

Yes, I will need help with that, and port forwarding if you could also.

I have a domain. FreeDNS has a bunch of errors on the sign up page, so I will wait until it has been fixed.

For now, I have the software for the server (xampp). What other software will I need to actually host the server (xampp), Does FreeDNS have a program that I will have to add to my computer.

Norton Security, will read incoming from the server im guessing?

FreeDNS does not have a program but you can use UPIP to change dynamic DNS.

Norton Security well that does not relate to server but the thing is one cannot put virus files on your compu.

I dint get much errors on freedns but that was sum weeks ago. And for hosting the site you do not need much.

Port Forwarding is same as Virtual Server, here is what you should do.

1. If you have a shortcut on desktop to your setting page for your routor go there or if you were specified with an ip address for that use it.
2. Now goto Advanced tab.
3. Virtual host.
4. Goto start->run and type winipcfg(9x ME) ipconfig(WinXP)
5. Get the ip address from there.
6. In the page we had opened add a server which forwards port 80 to port 80 of your machine:
The type: TCP
Port start: 80
Port End: 80
Port map: 80
IP: The ip we had found

We need one more entry

The type: TCP
Port start: 443
Port End: 443
Port map: 443
IP: The ip we had found

Thats not all we need you have to make sure your settings page is not on port 80.
in case it is:
1. Tools tab
2. Admin
3. Change port to 8080 or what ever you want.

You would have to use localhost to access your server from your computer and putting your lan ip which we got from ipconfig would work but using the external ip would not work. But the external ip works on any other computer on internet, to get the external ip goto: http://www.knowip.com

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.