9 replies to this topic

#1 CorkyMcDoogle

CorkyMcDoogle
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:40 AM

Hello...

I've been working on a new web site. I basically just started it as a way to learn PHP. I think it has served its purpose pretty well... now I'm trying to turn it into an actually worthwhile site.

http://www.confemo.com

Please tell me how I can improve the site for design or funtionality. Thank you.

#2 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:59 PM

Tis ok. The text is a little small.
It could do with some colour - even just the <a hrefs

The navigation bar is ok - could be improved.

Your xhtml doesnt validate. Your php code seems good tho.

I added a complaint in - and it would not bring me to the post page - it just kept going back to itself.

-steve

#3 CorkyMcDoogle

CorkyMcDoogle
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:41 PM

I added a complaint in - and it would not bring me to the post page - it just kept going back to itself.

I don't understand what you're saying here. It keeps going back to which page?

#4 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:49 PM

go to submit.
choose type - complaint
type in a a title and some text below.
type in the security code
submit

It goes to a page where it says
"Success! Your message was entered.
You're being taken back to the index. "

but it just refreshes the same message and I never see the index.

-steve

#5 CorkyMcDoogle

CorkyMcDoogle
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:20 AM

Thanks for pointing that out...

I didn't understand what you were talking about because that problem isn't there in Firefox. So after a couple minutes of thinking I tried IE and I saw what was happening to you. I fixed it.

Again, thanks for testing it. It could have been a unreported bug for a long time.

#6 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:10 PM

no probs.

#7 448191

• Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

I had some problems posting, and when I finally did manage, slashes were included (Yes I'm the 'coders disease guy', and yes all of it is true  :P No kiddin').

You might want to fix that.

BTW: WTF's up with your ordering of posts, it's crooked. This app is buggy as ****.

Ok, let me rephrase that: it needs work. Serious work.

#8 CorkyMcDoogle

CorkyMcDoogle
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

I'm not sure what happened with the dates/ordering. Something must have happened to the database this morning because when I checked the site all of them had the same exact post date. (Screwing up the order) They weren't like that yesterday.

Maybe thats why you had trouble posting? I think my host must have bugged out this morning somtime and reset some stuff. What type of problems were you having?

As for the slashes... I thought that was part of the whole 'coder' post lol. I'm not sure why that was done either... none of the other posts with quotes add slashes...

#9 448191

• Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,545 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:31 PM

Ok, I'll try to recall what happened.

I was having my $n'th cup of coffee, when I got stuck coding, so decided to visit the phpfreaks forums. I looked in ws critique and found your thread. I decided to post. So I clicked the 'misc' link box thingy at the bottom af the page. I got to a page where I could write text;

I noticed I was required to specify a category, although I had just clicked a link implicating I wanted to post in a specific category (you might want to fix that - is that a standard phrase or what).

I went on writing about what I've been experiencing the last couple of days  :P lol. (Yes I really ditched my (now ex-) girlfiend.)

I submitted the post, nothing happend. I ctrl-a>ctrl-c'd the text as I always do (for buggy apps like yours and IPB  :P), so I pasted the code and tried again. Nothing happend. The text was kept though, and probably WHITH slases. So in my frustration I submitted once again, but appearantly with slashes.

Be sure you remove slashes before you display a string again. All I can say.

#10 steviewdr

steviewdr
  • Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:50 AM

If a person types in
and/or
then I would expect that slash to remain in the text and not to be striped.
I think he uses html entities which are fine IMO as long as the charset is checked for.

-steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users