Dreamweaver templates help

This isnt PHP related but I am in desperate need of help. I have wanted to use the template feature of dreamweaver forever but could never get it to work right, but really need it to work now. I am building a big website and want to use a tempalte so when I have to make changes to a specific area in the entire site, I can just make the cahnge in the template and then apply it to all teh pages. I have made my template adn then created a couple of pages from that template, made sure it was checked to update these pages if template is changed. But now when i go make a change in the template, and click to update, the chagnes are not in the pages? Can someone please email me as I dont hit these boards often. Please :)

Michelle

michelle@webforu.com

Hi Michelle,

I'm just going through a few points as you seem to be doing everything right.

Are the pages are definately/ been created from the template?

This can be checked by just adding a space to the template and then saving. Check that the other pages are then being updated.

Have you saved the updated pages - I've sometimes uploaded unsaved pages and then complained as the updates do not appear.

Is the area you want to change in an editable area - I've forgotten the commands - but anything between the open and closing tag of an editable area will not be updated.

If still having problems email a copy of the template and one of the pages to php@sold.co.uk and I'll have a quick look.

Thinking about it why use templates.

Php allows you to include other php files eg

<?php include("top.php"); ?>

I use a simple table structure with includes php for the top, right margin, content, left margin and footer.

On my site all I need to change is the right margin and the content.

I have a standard reference web page which I use with a 'Save as' for new pages - alternatively this could be set as a template - but frankly I can't be bothered.

:):):) Good luck :):):)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.