NinV - Nuclear Invasion

DEVILofDARKNESS

Okay I made a lil, browsergame called ninv alias Nuclear Invasion

ninv

if you register, your username should be with a capital! otherwise you ill not get an errormessage yet but you can't join.

The following things have still to be done/fixed (so don't say there is something wrong):

-Tutorial

-Forum

-Ranks/stats in main page

-A countdown if you buy weapons/buildings.

I want to know if it's clear to work with, and if you think there really misses something.

Okay I made a lil, browsergame called ninv alias Nuclear Invasion

ninv

if you register, your username should be with a capital! otherwise you ill not get an errormessage yet but you can't join.

Test Account:

Username: IRA

Password: IRA

The following things have still to be done/fixed (so don't say there is something wrong):

-Tutorial

-Forum

-Ranks/stats in main page

-A countdown if you buy weapons/buildings.

I want to know if it's clear to work with, and if you think there really misses something.

The Critique

I personally don't care for the website design at all.

Home Page: well, I can't critique nothing.

Register Page: I don't care for the text. It moves too fast to the point that I need to wait for it all to stop before I can read. I don't think it adds anything, and I do think it detracts a little.

- When you need to choose a country, I don't like the centered list. Having a left-aligned list with flushed text would be much more....appeasing.

- Try and style your forms so that the input fields don't overlap with each other. That makes it looks sloppy, and there is also an uneven margin between inputs.

-When someone registers, don't make them write the name of the nation they just picked a couple of minutes ago. Start a session on the previous page for their choice, and then make that the value of the input field on the next page. Also, to resist tampering from the average person, make the input readonly.

- When I registered nothing happened.

Login: When someone makes an error, don't say anything about having an error in the database. That means nothing to anyone who doesn't know PHP (or another server-side language).

Overview (after logging in): Make the images an equal size or it looks messy (like now). It goes from large to medium, large to small, medium -> small, etc.

-Control is spelled like that, not controll.

About:

-This page had a few typos, and it's all centered. :(

Forum:

Don't say "The forum isn't set up yet." say something less disappointing like, "Forum Under Construction!".

- Layout

There is uneven spacing, a lack of appealing contrast, and terribly uneven margins. There could be a lot more done with this site, all it is is simple tables and some white text. Not  to mention, Times New Roman font looks too plain. Try something different maybe?

- You may think centering everything is a trendy style, but it's annoying and not trendy. Center things where they need centering, not just for the fun of it.

- Why are all the inputs and textareas CENTERED?! That's just not right!!  :stop:

I hope this helps you with maintenance. ;)

Uhu, but you mean I should left-align everything?

and what is uneven spacing?

And I'm not English so it's verry possible their are a lot of spelling mistakes.

And is the home page THAT bad? :( I really thought it was good

Well, don't left-align everything, but don't make everything centered either. Centering everything without reason is a little annoying.

If your first language is not English, then sorry for being mean about spelling, but you should try and use a dictionary or a spell-check for those of us who do have English as a first language. ;)

There is nothing showing up on the home page when I click the link. It just says "Nuclear Invasion" in bold....that's why I can't critique it. Click the link you gave and see.

Right now, from what I've seen, I don't think anything should be centered except the links in the navigation table. If you have a whole bunch of content just centered all the time in gets sloppy or hard to read, centering should be used a little. I guarantee if you ask anyone on the forum they will say not to center all of your content like it is now.

The site is simple...but sometimes to be a simple design, it has to be complex.

I would take away the 'about' link from the nav, and have the content of the page display on the homepage...rather than a huge gap and no content. This is so that users can see what 'Nuclear Invasion' is about.

Make the title of the site fit at the top of the page, and have it on all pages...something like 20pt-24pt, keep the font as Georgia.

In the nav, make the font verdana. This is to make the typography better. Also make a 'Home' link on every page, as I had to manually got back to the homepage.

On the 'register' page, make the text slower and make the font 'courier', as it looks something like a typewriter font...to give it that realistic feel.

I am maybe thinking, that the nav would look better horizontally at the top. Have the 'Home...Ranks...Stats' at the top left, and then at the top right have 'Login or register now' and have the login form next to that.

Just a few suggestions, to make it better for you.

Hope it has helped.

The giant, stretched image doesn't do it any justice. Viewing on a 1280x1024 resolution the image is pixelated and stretched, more noticeably width ways. The contrast between the red text and the background makes reading a strain on the eyes. Despite the claim, neither the HTML or CSS validates (although there's only 4 errors for each). Generally in some areas it's improved, but others it's got worse. Before re-attempting this, I'd recommend reading up on 'common web design mistakes', web design techniques, color schemes, etc. Those kind of articles, or even stretch to a book if you can afford it, that should give you a better idea on how to structure the web site, how to use matching color schemes, give you ideas and so on.

I like that you're actually taking our advice! However, I don't like the gigantic background image 'cause it will take FOREVER to download on dial-up, and even my fast internet had to wait like 5 seconds.

In my first web design course (I am taking now) so far the only thing I have learned (beginner course, meh) is that there are four elements of design:

- Alignment

- Proximity

- Contrast

- Repetition

You should look them up, maybe get some books, or take some classes. ;)

I like that you're actually taking our advice! However, I don't like the gigantic background image 'cause it will take FOREVER to download on dial-up, and even my fast internet had to wait like 5 seconds.

In my first web design course (I am taking now) so far the only thing I have learned (beginner course, meh) is that there are four elements of design:

- Alignment

- Proximity

- Contrast

- Repetition

You should look them up, maybe get some books, or take some classes. ;)

The thing is though, the three main things (this is not from some course) that are important in web design are...

- Consistent Spacing

- Contrast

- Functionality

As you could have a brilliant site...but it will fail if nobody can navigate it properly etc.

I actually think it is really clear how you can navigate, the only problem may/seems to be the background picture.  On my pc (and also on my WII browser) it was shown direct, but maybe because I have a fast internet connection...

(I also cleared my cache and reloaded the site but still in 1 second the picture was there...)

So what do you sugest as background?

Just a color (like it first was), is to basic I think, but I really don't know what to use instead?  Any idea is welcome!

I hate having to pick background stuff, it annoys me to death.

The thing is though, the three main things (this is not from some course) that are important in web design are...

- Consistent Spacing

- Functionality

As you could have a brilliant site...but it will fail if nobody can navigate it properly etc.

I agree, append that to my list. Although I do think the things I gave were just basics, for those without any knowledge of coding. >.>

Maybe you could have a simple background like a grid or something, not a normal grid, one that runs diagonally. Meh.

I hate having to pick background stuff, it annoys me to death.

What do you mean with: 'to pick'?

I'm not english so don't mind me :P

To choose.

Btw: I used firebug to test how fast my site loads:

ninv.be:  1.03 s

phpfreaks.com  35.28 s

(this without any cache)

Even if I already visited the page once, ninv.be is loaded faster...

Did you take into account the masses of info PHP Freaks has as opposed to what your site has? It's a big difference.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.