[SOLVED] Why do I stop getting responses on a certain topic?

Hi everyone,

I'm sure everybody feels like this sometimes, but I have a certain query that I have been posting in various forms for weeks and am never getting any help.

I go away again for a day or two, bash my brains out about it, make some tweaks with still no joy, so I re-post the problem with my new information.

Might the lack of response be due to no one knowing the answer (unlikely) posting too much code (guilty sometimes) or what?

This is my latest version where I have isolated the problem area of code. I know I haven't given this one very long yet, but am I asking something unreasonable? It's about the array_diff function.

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,269294.0.html

(I'm not asking for help here by the way, I just want to know if I am breaking any etiquette or asking too much)

Many thanks,

KN

Without having read your topics, if you aren't getting any responses it's probably because of:

1) Nobody knows the answer.

2) You haven't explained your problem well enough.

3) People feel you're too stupid and have given up.

Again, I haven't bothered reading your topics, so I don't know if it's any of those.

Whatever you say. Anyway, I was always taught that stupid questions get stupid answers. How is anyone supposed to know why nobody else is answering your topic?

I listed the reason why *I* wouldn't answer a topic. Either I don't know, in which case there is not really anything I can answer with. Or perhaps you haven't explained what you want properly, in which case I won't waste my time playing 20 questions for the professor. Or perhaps I know from past experience that whenever I try to help you it goes on for several pages because you're too stupid to comprehend even the simplest concepts.

I just thought of another one: Maybe you expressed some sort of dislike of me, and thus I've decided to ignore you.

99% of getting your question answered is about presentation, not the actual problem at hand. Your question isn't very clear, and your formatting sucks.  Is that good enough, or do you want to continue to whine about not getting help, and bitch when someone tells you like it is? What kind of response did you really expect from a thread like this? There isn't a single positive answer to a question like that. 

What do you hope to achieve by reporting my post? Not to be a smart ass, but I can read all reports, and I'm highest authority around here.

I think you've missed the point with getting help for free online. People will help you if they want to and when they want to. If nobody wants to help you, you just won't get help. If you want to increase the chances of getting help you just need to make sure that you are presenting a problem that is interesting enough for other people to bother using their own time on helping you for free. The fact that you are even whining about not getting any responses just shows that you are disrespecting people who potentially would help you. You aren't any more important that other people.

You asked a question, and I answered it. My answer was based on why I myself wouldn't answer a topic.

Great. Any polite replies?

If multiple forums aren't responding to your question than we can isolate that the problem is with you.  The reason for me not answering, in addition to Daniel's, are (note: these have no relevence with your specific question):

1) I'm usually at work, so I don't feel like taking 20 minutes to answer questions.

2) A topic or subject that does not interest me what so ever.

3) (not me but most) People see a lot of text or code and run.

You have to remember this forum, and probably the other ones you've posted on, are run by volunteers and take their personal time to help others.  If you want immediate help (which is really what you're asking since you posted this less than an hour after your thread that's being ignored) then either pay someone or use a pay forums to receive help.  It may not even be you, there are a lot of posts that are ignored due to a plethora of reasons.

and if you haven't noticed already...people have spent a lot more time 'answering' this thread than they have your other one.  Mainly because of your presentation of it. 

Notice how it is well crafted and straight to the point of how you are dumbfounded as to why anyone would cease to answer your question.  Maybe you could elaborate a little more...or a lot more on your other topic and it's future could be little more greener (AKA... SOLVED)

I have to agree with presentation, if you present your problem clearly you're much more likely to get an answer. The best approach I've found is to first explain what you're trying to achieve, show your current code, show your current results and explain how they differ and include as much information as possible. If you just say "This is my code it doesn't work" nobody is going to know what you're trying to achieve.

1. Explain what you're trying to achieve, include an example that is as descriptive as possible

2. Explain what methods you're using now and any methods you think might be appropriate, whether or not you understand them

3. Show your current results and how they differ from the desired results, make sure you show the difference clearly

4. Post as much code as possible, make sure EVERYTHING that you're using is included, so if you're calling an external function make sure you show how it's define

5. Be willing to re-explain and be as polite as possible, everyone is here on their own time and they're doing you the favour, not the other way around.

That's what I "follow" and I don't think I've ever gone away without an answer, I do find myself sometimes re-explaining, but when being polite and patient that's never a problem :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.